My Trip To Defensive Edge Long Range Shooting School

Broz

I want to share the story of my trip to Idaho to attend Shawn Carlocks "Defensive Edge" Long Range shooting school. About a year ago I decided to sign up for the full basic and advanced class that Shawn and Bob Carlock offer. I have been shooting to distances over 1000 yards for quite a few years. But, I figured a guy can always pick up some knowledge or techniques when you rub shoulders with one of the best. I was right, this was money and time well spent. Plus, I met some great people there.
Day one found us traveling into the high country of Idaho to a flatspot in the road known as "Long Range Shooting Camp". Upon getting out of my truck I saw the huge wall tent that would serve as the school room for day one and then transform into roomy accommodations for us 4 attendees. Also a kitchen set up for some for preperation of some awesome "Dutch Oven" prepaired meals.
Here is the shooting camp view.

IMG_0907Small.jpg

IMG_0909Small.jpg

After the class time we moved right into shooting for the next 3 days. Shawn is adamant about getting you trigger time and lots of it. You shoot up, down, flat, into winds with lift, drift you name it. Never a dull moment! There are plans in place with back up plans for what to do if the weather is better suited.
Here are a couple very educational pictures. After a light mountain rain or mornings with a high dewpoint the fog lifts revieling the wind currents. I stood at camp amazed by what the winds were doing as they flow up or down the canyons. Or the lift created as they meet or travel up a slope. It's like the wind was just painted for you to view.
IMG_0910Small.jpg

IMG_0912Small.jpg

The evenings are a great time too. The LCD flat screen is set up and you have a choice of movies for the evening where we all sit and visits about the days shooting or what ever comes up.
IMG_0915Small.jpg

Yeah, we were roughing it!!:cool: Yup, thats "ToombStone" on the screen.
IMG_0918Small.jpg

Then off to bed. When you rize with the sun you are fed like a king. Here is a small omlet I asked for with some hasbrowns and fresh brewed coffee.
IMG_0920Small.jpg

That night after a good lunch I figured on a light dinner. WRONG!!! Can you believe steak patatos, greenbeans and fresh bread??
Let me just say, our Chef, "Cloyd" is the best camp cook anyone could ask for. He is a true dutch over Chef and the meals are better than you could get at the most expensive resturant.
IMG_0936Small.jpg

I don't want you to get the idea we were slacking at all. Shawn kept us busy. We shot many rounds at several locations and dstances all day every day.
Plenty of Shawns time was givin to explaining the shots, angles, winds, and drift affects.

IMG_0922Small.jpg

Last edited:
OK, ready for this?? That LCD flat screen. Well it is used durring the day hooked up to a super sonic camera with doubler for spotting trace and hits. Thats right, Shawn zooms into a rock at 1400 , 1500, 1700 out to 2003, or 2300 plus and points to the rock of choice. Then the shooter dials up dope and shoots while the class watches from the viewing area. Can you say "Team Spotting" ?
IMG_0924Small.jpg

This little (under 1 moa) rock dubbed "The Chicklet" was blown to bits by Danny (one of the class students) yeah, at 1500 plus yards.
IMG_0930Small.jpg

Me taking my turn and just before pasting a rock at 2003 yards with my .338 LM and a gen 2 Berger 300 Hybrid.
IMG_0932Small.jpg

More Idaho beauty! And yes, we shot small rocks from that grouping up on the mountain.
IMG_0934Small.jpg

Then of course at night we would also spot elk with the camera and TV. More group spotting at it's finest.
IMG_0940Small.jpg

The elk are over 2000 yards away on the hill behind the TV.
IMG_0942Small.jpg

IMG_0943Small.jpg

Just few more here.
From this position we shot way across the canyon to the rock wall where a small point of aim was picked. Shooters took turns while their partner watched with a spotting scope and called out corrections. I think this one was 1700 and change.
IMG_0945Small.jpg

1 moa and under shooting was the results even past 2000 yards. By day 3 many 1st round hits were made. I was totally impressed with this class. If you think you could be a better shot and want to pursue the challenge, go for it.
Lastly. At the end of the class as we parted I got a shot of me with two great Extended Long Range shooters. Bob and Shawn Carlock, my new friends.
Thanks!
Jeff
IMG_0949Small.jpg

Last edited:
Nice report and great pictures to help us experience your shooting school/training. Glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for sharing.

Awesome post Broz

I was in idaho in June taking the basic class! Loved it, Idaho is awesome, and the Carlocks are a great pair of teacher's!

Already on the list for the advanced class for next year can't bloody wait!

SBriggs

Broz,

Impressed with your post, in that the pics and words worked very well together.

Very impressive shooting school. What a motivator.....shooting one direction with elk the other direction......what a dream builder.

The northwest is wonderful.

The ONLY readily glaring comment-able observation is KETCHUP with a Steak!!!! What's that about???:D

Great Post Broz!

Great writeup. I always wanted to know more about his class. Its on my list for sure. I need to get back to Idaho. I used to spend part of the summers through high school in Meridian, but went all over the state. One of the few states I would enjoy to live in.

What does a class like that cost? I'm very interested.

And do you think a Sendero 7mmSTW shooting 160gr AccuBonds would work good? Don't have a good long range scope on ot yet. But been thinking about a 8-32x56 Nightforce NXS with the MLR reticle. Do you think I would need a higher magnification scope than that?

Great write up Jeff, I always look forward to your posts. I would love to load up and get out there for those classes one day. There are definitely not places like that to shoot in Mississippi.

Funny thing about timing. Broz, thanks for the heads up. I'll be meeting Shawn in the morning to start this same class.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.