My son's Xmas present is shooting 25 moa! Help!

You had me, hahaha, true story, my Grandson had a Red Ryder, he was at our house, we were standing on the back porch, our neighbor had Guineas, we hated them, they would mess on the front porch by the door. This flock of Guineas was walking through the backyard, about 40 yards away, I ask my grandson shoot one of those Guineas to scare them off, now he is 5 years old, cute as a bug with his Elmer fudd looking hat on, squeezes the trigger, you can watch the BB fly, perfect arch and hit the Guinea in the neck and killed it DRT, no tracking just a fish out of water. He lets out a I got em, I was thinking oh S****, you did, now I need to get rid of it before the neighbor sees it..

I need the help of the Braintrust here. My in-laws bought my son his first rifle for Christmas and it just will not shoot. I did not do a proper break in because he was so eager to start shooting. Is there a chance I damaged the rifle? Where would you guys start? Right now it has a heavy Factory trigger and I'm shooting Factory ammo.
Agreed with below more info is needed but I would always start with a good cleaning down to metal and go from there

You had me, hahaha, true story, my Grandson had a Red Ryder, he was at our house, we were standing on the back porch, our neighbor had Guineas, we hated them, they would mess on the front porch by the door. This flock of Guineas was walking through the backyard, about 40 yards away, I ask my grandson shoot one of those Guineas to scare them off, now he is 5 years old, cute as a bug with his Elmer fudd looking hat on, squeezes the trigger, you can watch the BB fly, perfect arch and hit the Guinea in the neck and killed it DRT, no tracking just a fish out of water. He lets out a I got em, I was thinking oh S****, you did, now I need to get rid of it before the neighbor sees it..

I finally figured out who killed my guinea
LOL

Thanks

Buck

We have 2-- the standard rr, and the buck( mini rr) --- I've never measured the group size but I can hit the small 2" metal flip flop gongs at 25 yards 9 out of 10 times with both of ours. ( so I'm guessing mine is about 8-10 moa.) I use the zinc coated daisy precision bbs from walmart ($12/6000)

Sounds like you got a dud--- contact daisy to see what their accuracy guarantee is, maybe they will send you a new barrel 🤪

I did find a cool windage work-around on the internet---- if you are shooting left, try standing on a 2x4 with just your left foot -- the extra body/rifle cant will make the projectile move to the right. ( and opposite for right hand windage adjustment)
Now this gets a little difficult if you are more than 6" left or right as you need a single 2x4 for each inch of windage adjustment.

We have 2-- the standard rr, and the buck( mini rr) --- I've never measured the group size but I can hit the small 2" metal flip flop gongs at 25 yards 9 out of 10 times with both of ours. ( so I'm guessing mine is about 8-10 moa.) I use the zinc coated daisy precision bbs from walmart ($12/6000)

Sounds like you got a dud--- contact daisy to see what their accuracy guarantee is, maybe they will send you a new barrel 🤪

I did find a cool windage work-around on the internet---- if you are shooting left, try standing on a 2x4 with just your left foot -- the extra body/rifle cant will make the projectile move to the right. ( and opposite for right hand windage adjustment)
Now this gets a little difficult if you are more than 6" left or right as you need a single 2x4 for each inch of windage adjustment.
I was so focused on the trigger pull, I may have missed a cant issue.... Maybe I'll add bubble level.

Did he get the "official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle" ?
Probably not cause then he'd shoot his eye out !

We're you wearing your Radio Orphan Annie's Secret Society decoder pin while shooting? That might help.

And be sure he drinks his Ovaltine

Which model does he have? Maybe he has the new AR version--- those lever action semi-full autos arent near as accurate as the originals.

Screenshot_20220112-071639_DuckDuckGo.jpg

30 years ago, my son came in the house and said he had shot the neighbors cat and of course I said good for you, thinking he was just pulling my leg because I knew the way he had been shooting his Red Ryder that everything besides a brush patch or possibly our back windows were safe. Low and behold, about a month later, I was doing the first lawn mowing of the year and found the remains of a dead cat alright,,, pole cat that is!! Laying right where my son had said it was and nary a whiff of a skunk at all!! I guess I'd say we were "lucky?"

I need the help of the Braintrust here. My in-laws bought my son his first rifle for Christmas and it just will not shoot. I did not do a proper break in because he was so eager to start shooting. Is there a chance I damaged the rifle? Where would you guys start? Right now it has a heavy Factory trigger and I'm shooting Factory ammo.
It's an interesting conundrum you have going on here but fact of the matter is that there is not enough information here to even start to figure out the issue. However, by not following a break in procedure you did not damage the barrel or the rifle but there is more than a little chance that you are dealing with copper or lead fouling. Please provide more information like rifle mfg, model, caliber and the type of ammo you are shooting.

Recent Posts