My son's Xmas present is shooting 25 moa! Help!

TX Badger

I need the help of the Braintrust here. My in-laws bought my son his first rifle for Christmas and it just will not shoot. I did not do a proper break in because he was so eager to start shooting. Is there a chance I damaged the rifle? Where would you guys start? Right now it has a heavy Factory trigger and I'm shooting Factory ammo.

25 MOA??? Wow, how do you even measure that??
That must mean off the paper in all directions!

You should start by checking the simple things: is the scope mounted securely and properly? is it a reliable scope? Make sure action screws are tight, and that action is seated in the stock properly, and that the barrel is free floating/no pressure points.

A friend loaned me his .223 rifle to break in and work up a load. I brought the ammo for my .223 and lots of cleaning stuff to the range. Then I realized I didn't have the cleaning rod. There was no way I was leaving without firing a three shot group. It measured 3/8" with a tape measure. I called him. He asked me to meet him in Klamath Falls, Oregon. We were both hours away from there and each other. He stepped off 110 long steps. Put up a target. Placed some sandbags on the hood of his pickup and fired five shots. The group was .400".

All this is to say break in does not make an accurate rifle accurate.

First I thought it was my son's inexperience, but my groups were not much better. Even with the stiff trigger I thought it should shoot better when locked in on front and rear bags. Ran it over my magneto speed to try to see what was going on but couldn't get any data.

Open sights so it's not scope issue. Maybe ammo. If I could get some bergers or better yet some hammers, maybe it would shoot. Maybe I'll have to bed it.