My new 338 Lapua (Video added)

300WSMMAD

Hi Guys, I wasnt going to post until I fired it but I just had to share!!!

Barnard PL Action
30" Trueflite 1-9 barrel
Trueflite rotional ported muzzle break
Manners Stock
25 MOA Barnard base
Ken Farrell rings.
Barnard trigger(10oz)
Luepold VXIII 8.5-25
Paint by Me!

The people involved in this build have been AWSOME!!
I can not be more happy with the service from Tom Manners,
Charles at Barnard Precision NZ, and Grant at True Flite NZ.
The longest wait I had was 4 weeks for the stock(no inletting)
From when I sent the action and stock to True flite I had it back
in less than two weeks.

RIMG0394.jpg

rifle002.jpg

rifle003.jpg

Regards 300WSMMAD

Last edited:
Re: My new 338 Lapua

Really nice looking gat kiwi !

What is the setup going to be used most for ?

Long cross gully ambushes on sika or reds ?

Did you also look at the adjust comb version of this stock from Tom ?

If you have ever held a A5 how wouold you compare the grip sizes ?

DUH

Hi DUH, I hope to get it up on the "tops"of the Ureweras,Kaimanawas, or any of our ranges for that matter, some day for some superb long range hunting for deer, next year however it will be going on a Thar hunt in the southern alps in July and while Im there I may even try for a Chamios in the Kaikoura region where I will stay for a nite or two with friends.
In the mean time I will shoot the crap out of gongs and goats until I feel comfortable shooting it at extended distances.

I did see the Adj stock all most ordered it but decided against it, I will make it adjustable myself if I require it but as it is now I dont need it centre line from scope to top of the comb is only 65mm so it pretty good.
I cant comment on the A5 but my friends one will be here in approx two weeks, so we will see.
As for the plam swell on mine I sanded off the moulded grip on plam and forend,which reduced it down a little, I've been blessed with short fingers so before I sent the stock away I put a screw in the stock where I wanted the trrigger to go it has worked out perfectly.
Thanks for the feed back.
Regards 300WSMMAD

Last edited:

really sweet looking rig. btw how come you decided on a 1.9 twist? any particular reason?
i thought a 1.10 would stabilise a 300smk.
show us how it shoots now.

Im sure the rifle will shoot just fine, its "the dick behind the stick" Im more concernd about!:D
1-9 is the twist rate Trueflite use in the 338's, it seems to work very well from what Ive heard, shooting 300 SMKs.
Put it on the scale last nite it weighs in at an even 7.1 kgs or 15.62lbs,
not bad I thought.

mate, that has to be one of the best stock finishes ive ever seen. I want one just like it

Thanks NZP, that bloodly stock paint job sure did cause me some sleepless nites figuring now to put it off so it looked sweet!
I sleep like a log now!
FYI it has no less than 5 different colours on that stock for that effect,
the whole operation took about 4-5 hrs, we did paint 3 rifles that day however, the paint isnt really paint its a 2 pak pigmented epoxy that can be sprayed on, its as hard as the hobs of hell, impervious to nearly everything including Hoppes,Boretech even thinners once it goes off, and if your technique is perfected it goes as flat as a black board!
Even better what you spray needs hardly any prep, to do the barrel I gave it a quick rub with 240 grit scotch pad, rub with prepsol.. spray it on, no etch primer, primer, nothing.
The stock got rubbed back with 400 grit then a 600 wet sand,dried, prepsol,mask, sprayed!

Regards 300WSMAD

hey mate. nice looking rig. i was wondering if you mind if i ask how much the whole set up set you back. im in chch and so nz $ would be good. just wondering how long im going to have to save the 10cents for.cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.