My first Benchrest match

James H

This the story of the first Benchrest match I have ever attended.
It all started a week ago on Friday when I by accident discovered that there was a 200/600yd match at a range just less than 100 miles from me (Heartland Shooting Range, just West of Grand Island, NE) Saturday the 18th. I really had nothing ready to shoot but have been wanting to go to a match for a long time. Still hadn't finished the stock on my Lawton 7500 and only had a few 6mm Talldog cases formed which I also had a Savage 12 single shot chambered for. I decided I didn't have time to form more cases so last Sunday I pulled the barrel off the Savage and ran the 6BR reamer on in .100" to make a standard 6 BR (no case forming necessary). Thursday A.M. I was able to shoot a ladder test I picked what I thought was the best and loaded a few rounds and tested them, OK good enough I thought.
I made it to the match this morning the directors decided to shoot the 600yd first as it was already getting windy (16 gusting to 30 from 6:00). I was actually surprised with the 70 gr bullets (1-14 twist) that I was able to get all 10 record shots on target.
Then came the 200 yard event in the afternoon. Oh I didn't mention I only brought 50 rounds and had 7 left for sighters plus 10 for record shots for the 200 yd. I shot 5 on the sighter and went to the record. Man what happened that looks terrible I thought as I finished the 5 record shots on target 1. I then collected myself and went to target 2, watched the conditions and fired 1 sighter , Looks good I thought and went to record and put 5 shots in it. As I looked at the second target I thought that's better too bad I didn't do better on target 1. At least I did end up with 1 bullet left.
Then they distributed the targets someone shot a 1.144 and .612 for an agg of .878, who was on bench 3? Holly cow that's me. :eek:
Boy was I surprised, I won the 200 yd group.

Savage 12 SS-S
Pac-Nor 4 groove 1-14 twist super match grade
Savage VLP stock
Sightron 6x24x42 scope
6mm BR .272 no-turn neck
Sierra 70gr MK

My 600 yd 10 shot agg was 10.837 Score was bad.
The winner of the 600 yd group was shooting a tight neck 6.5x55 Ack on a Bat action.
The winner of the 600 yd score was shooting 180gr Burgers in a 7mm WSM on a Savage action and I believe a tensioned barrel.
I didn't catch what the winner of the 200 yd score was shooting but did notice it looked like a Rem. action with a sleaved bolt.

That's my story and I sticking to it.
Can't wait to get the Lawton up and going with a real BR stock.
In hindsight it would have been better if I had placed further down the list.:D

James,

Congrats on your first benchrest match, that's awesome. One of these days I am going to do a match. The nearest benchrest range for me is about 300 miles away in Sacramento, CA.

Once again, CONGRATS!!!!! on your accomplishment.

Wildcat

James H where are you located at? I didn't know that Heartland had any competitions going on.
I live about half way between Holdrege and Alma.
I by accident found out about the match.
They are trying to get enought interest to start having IBS sanctioned matches.
They said they would send emails to everyone who participated in this weeks match whenever they have another.
I don't think there was much notice on this match as the stools for the benches were finished the night before the match.
I'll try to post info when I get it about the next match.
James

Good for you.

I spent all day yesterday shooting F-class competition and it was a lot of fun and the mirage just drove me bananas. There are about five of us who are just real beginners and we all shoot equally badly.

I never thought I would enjoy competitive, shooting benchrest or F-Class. I was wrong.
A word of encouragement....you will only improve your F-Class scores. I have gone from a middle of the pack finish my first time out, to respectible finish, to a third, to a second place finish. My goal was always not to finish last. Now it is becoming my goal to win one. Maybe I will get lucky and get a windless day. I am learning that the wind is a friend to the more experianced shooters.

Hooked, yes. Since I was a young teenager I have loved handloading and shooting paper but have never really had anyone who enjoyed it as much as I do to shoot with me. As I alluded to in my original post the worst thing for me to do was to finish first on the 200 yd group as that is the one thing in the event I thought I had a chance of doing well on and possibly winning, since I was shooting a "point blank" gun but was not expecting much as there were several experienced BR shooters there and I was sure that the 6mm PPC in a full blown BR gun would beat me. Now the only way to go is down. I have never really practiced score shooting but have worked on improving my ability to make small groups. Granted Score represents more the ability to hit something but I have always strived to make ammo with a consistent POI which is what group represents.
When I called my wife to brag to her that I had won 200 yd group she asked if this type of competition is something I would enjoy doing, I told her "Well hell ya, I always knew I would enjoy doing it but have never found any competitions within a reasonable distance to do it. Which is why I made it a point to make this one." In fact I had started last winter in a Benchrest point blank gun which is now done. I wish that I had known that this long range comp was going to be starting nearby as I would have built on a barrel that would stabilize the high b.c. bullets.
The Heartland Shooting Center is having another similar shoot the 22 of Sept. and I am afraid that harvest is going to interfere with that , since I now have a title to defend LOL.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.