Benchrest Comp Question

DennisPA

I recently competed in my first bench rest style competition. It was a 1,2 and 300 yard "Ground Hog Shoot". I did ok at the 100 and 200 yard targets because I could see my holes. But at 300 I had no idea where I was hitting. I know I need more glass, but my question is for you guys that compete at real long range. Do you have enough glass that you can see your hits or do you just have proven loads and know your come ups that well? Thanks

I shoot some stationary sniper-type comps, and proven loads are a plus, but you still have to deal with wind... So good glass is recommended. I personally shoot a 6-24x50mm SIII and have no problem seeing hits @ 300 (shooting a .308 Win.) unless it's in the black portion of the target (which is good lol).

Good luck.

I recently competed in my first bench rest style competition. It was a 1,2 and 300 yard "Ground Hog Shoot". I did ok at the 100 and 200 yard targets because I could see my holes. But at 300 I had no idea where I was hitting. I know I need more glass, but my question is for you guys that compete at real long range. Do you have enough glass that you can see your hits or do you just have proven loads and know your come ups that well? Thanks

Dennis, Long Range benchrest is a humbling experiance. You need skills to shoot at the longer distances and confidence in your rifle and your loads. You will need to spend hours on the range perfecting your wind reading. As to what glass, you didn't mention what power scope you were using at your 100, 200 and 300 yard match. I can tell you this most point blank benchrest shooters (100 and 200 yds) are shooting at a minimum a 36 power scope with many of them shooting 45 power scopes. To excell and not just compete you need this kind of power.

Seeing bullet holes at distances longer than that is a problem no matter what scope or power you are using. Out past 500 yds it can be almost impossible to see them on a good day and complettly impossible on the bad days. Mirage alone can keep you from seeing them. On those days you must have a very good load that you believe in and try and shoot a condition as it pretains to the wind. You have to know when to shoot and when to wait, to do that you are going to have to learn the wind and what it does to the bullet and when it does it.

Those problems are what keep us all coming back. It sure is not all of those "Fake" wood trophys.

Roland

I live close to you and I shoot groundhog matches at Stewartstown 100-200-300; St. Thomas 200-300--400 and Mayberry, MD 200-300--500. I prefer NF 12-42XBR scopes and when conditions are right I can see bullet holes at extreme ranges. In this game, the scope is more important than anything else.

Hey Gene,
I've been to the past three ground hog shoots at Stewartstown and I plan on going to St. Thomas on the 11th. I have since gotten a 8-32 scope and I had no problem seeing my hits at 300. I didn't like what I saw but that's another story. Hope to see you at one of the shoots to put a face to the name. I don't know about St.Thomas but at Stewartstown I'm usually one of the two or the only one in the varmint class. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts