My 280 - Updated!

Hi Trebark,

Just saw your post on the 280. I'm waiting for mine to be completed, but am curious about your pet load. Why did you go to Winchester primers for the 168 load? Did you experiment with Federals and find the Winchesters worked better? What are you using for brass. Much thanks and great build!

Jze

Hi Trebark,

Just saw your post on the 280. I'm waiting for mine to be completed, but am curious about your pet load. Why did you go to Winchester primers for the 168 load? Did you experiment with Federals and find the Winchesters worked better? What are you using for brass. Much thanks and great build!

Jze

The decision to go with Winchester primers was based on what was available at the time. You will notce the rifle was completed in 2008 (just before the election) and the 'great primer shortage of 2008' was in full swing. But a buddy of mine had several hundred Winchester primers and said I could have them. Then as load development went on and although I did test Federal and CCI, the Winchesters worked just fine (low ES) and I did not use them in any other rifle. This meant a box of 1000 Winchester primers would be used only for this rifle.

In the next several months I will update this thread again as the look and optics of the rifle are about to change. Stay tuned....

Now that deer season has been over for a short time, my old faithful 280 has undergone some changes.

Most conspicuous is the the brown paint has been stripped off and everything returned to its original stainless steel or black finish:

280002.jpg

280001.jpg

Because I rarely dialed the turrets on this rifle, the optic has been changed from the VX3 with M1 turrets to a Leupold VX2 with CDS elevation turret. I have not and will not have a custom turret put on this scope. I'm going to stick with the original .25moa per click turret. The turret is much more low profile than the M1 turrets and will still allow me to dial for a 300+ shot should the need arise.

Also, the bolt knob has been changed from the Badger Ordinance tactical knob to a much lower profile round knob. For a carry-rifle, found that the tactical knob got too much in the way. Lower profile knob will be better.

280003.jpg

Removing the paint also makes the barrel makers mark much more clear:

280007.jpg

whaddya think?

I love it Trebark. Something about that stainless look that does it for me. How's it shooting? And what brass are you using? The low profile VX-2 looks nice on there as well. Duplex reticle? Nice work!

-Jze

I love it Trebark. Something about that stainless look that does it for me. How's it shooting? And what brass are you using? The low profile VX-2 looks nice on there as well. Duplex reticle? Nice work!

-Jze

Glad you like it. Last time I had it out, it shot .5moa with an occassional flier that would expand the group to .75moa. Because this is my carry-rifle with an intended use of shooting 200yards and closer, my level of concern for pin-point accuracy is low. As a result, I use cheap unsorted Remington brass that I do a minimum of prep work on.

New scope is a regular duplex reticle. It will work fine for the intended use.

Great to see a custom gun's history. Very nice.
My compliments on filling in all the details.
I've been bouncing between a 300 WM or 280 for the next build, and your posts and history were a great help.

Keep it going and I will follow closely!

Great to see a custom gun's history. Very nice.
My compliments on filling in all the details.
I've been bouncing between a 300 WM or 280 for the next build, and your posts and history were a great help.

Keep it going and I will follow closely!

Glad this provides some helpful information for you. Next step in this process will be to get this new scope sighted-in and run some tests with the CDS dial.

If you like the history of this rifle, check-out my others:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-308-1k-rifle-evolution-continues-43510/

Read the 308 thread all the way to the end where you will see it transform into a full-custom 260:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-260-mcr-59628/

Then after lessons learned on the 260, built a big cannon:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-260-mcr-59628/

PM me if you have any questions. Glad to help.

I have a Custom Rem. 700 Action, Krieger Barreled 29 1/2", 9 TW and shoot H-4831 55.6 gr, Fed 210M, Nosler Brass, and the Hornady 162 gr. A-MAX flies GREAT!

Although the 168vld has been performing well in this rifle, I wanted to redevelop a different load for it. As I've said, the intended use for this rifle is to shoot 300 yards and closer. So high velocity and high BC is not necessary. The rifle needs to be able to deliver a deer killing bullet accurately. As a result, this summer I've been working on a 150grain Sierra Game King load. So far 58grains of H4831SC has sent these 150s at 2900 in sub-moa groups. Load has not shown any pressure signs. So might press the load with a slightly more heavy charge.

New load development with the 150grain SGK is done! 58 grains of H4831SC is sending these Game Kings at just a tad of 2900 with low ES and sub-moa accuracy. After getting a tight 100 yard zero, dialed the new scope up to 200 yards and scored what would be killing shots at 200 and 250yards - off hand! Definitely excited about getting back in the deer fields with this rifle this year. What's old is new again!

Trebark,

What was your reasoning for going to the SGK? At those ranges a mega high BC isn't necessary, but were you looking for a more stoutly constructed projectile? I have a 168 VLD load done for my soon to be delivered 280. I'm interested to try the new Nosler LR Accubonds myself. That said, I'll have to use the 168s this fall as I won't have the rifle long enough or have enough time to develop a new load.

Happy hunting!

-Jzeblaz

Trebark,

What was your reasoning for going to the SGK? At those ranges a mega high BC isn't necessary, but were you looking for a more stoutly constructed projectile? I have a 168 VLD load done for my soon to be delivered 280. I'm interested to try the new Nosler LR Accubonds myself. That said, I'll have to use the 168s this fall as I won't have the rifle long enough or have enough time to develop a new load.

Happy hunting!

-Jzeblaz

The 168VLD is a great longrange bullet and I loaded them in this rifle so that if ever the opportunity came up to shoot 600+ yards I would be ready. After carrying the rifle for many years though, that opportunity has not presented itself as anytime I even thought I would shoot longrange, I have another rig dedicated to longrange hunting: http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-300rum-mcr-70809/ Alternatively, http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-260-mcr-59628/ is another good longrange rifle option at hand.

This rifle has taken 200+ yard shots though. The rationale for going with the 150SGK was simply to have a bullet that is accurate and a reliable deer killer.

I have a 700 mountain rifle in 280, that I am thinking of having done. How much did it cost you for that type of work. (after 4 shoots the thin barrel heats up bad)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.