My 280 - Updated!

Very nice stick! And great shooting to. That natural brown looks will work good and if you slap some camo on top of that it will be that much more beautiful. If you don't mind me asking; how much for that beauty?

Simple, light and a nice performer!

Cheers,
RiP

Although the rifle still looks the same, the optics have been upgraded from the VX1 (that scope moved over to my nephew's rifle)

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/nephews-transformed-rifle-53634/

My 280 now has a VX3 with M1 turrets and TMR reticle.

Overall the project cost $2,200+

I thought about adding some camo aspects to this rifle, but I didn't do a very good job, so I sprayed it all brown and haven't managed to change it. Just this past week I acquired a stainless Rem700 in 300rum. I Might strip the 280 back to its original stainless action and barrel so that the 280 and the 300 match. Won't that be a nice pair!

Nice rig, the difference in the scope after the turrets and reticle change is awesome.
How have they worked for you? How did you do that with Leupold?

Nice rig, the difference in the scope after the turrets and reticle change is awesome.
How have they worked for you? How did you do that with Leupold?

The M1 turrets are great. The knobs on them are easy to grab and the clicks are firm. I've never had any trouble with them accidently turning as a result of dragging them against something and I've had this rifle in some thick brush.

Love the TMR reticle too. The cross-hairs do not actually touch in the middle. So when you're sighting a distant target (like a ground hog I shot at this year at 940 yards) the crosshairs do not coverup the target. Also, rather than having mil-dots, there are small cross hairs. also, it is graduated in 1/2 mils - this makes it easier to figure corrections if you miss.

It's easy to have Leupold do this type of work. They do lots of custom work. check it out here: https://customshop.leupold.com/ or call them.

Did you order the stock specifically for this build? If so, I am going to PM you. Did you have to have the channel inletted to fit your #4 Contour? Thanks, looks very nice BTW.

Did you order the stock specifically for this build? If so, I am going to PM you. Did you have to have the channel inletted to fit your #4 Contour? Thanks, looks very nice BTW.

Yes, I did acquire the stock specifically for this build. No inletting was required and the barrel free-floats almost all the way to the recoil lug (there is some bedding in front of the lug)

Looks sweet...real nice job, I bet ya its a real Deer killer.

It is a great rifle that I just love to shoot. I can't remember if I said it in an earlier post, but this rifles new pet load is 168VLD at 2850fps.

The longest shot on deer this rifle has made so far is 240 yards and several in the 175 to 200 range. I'm hoping to get a longer shot as with its new pet load, I've been able to regularly make dead-on 400 to 500 yard cold-bore shots on targets.

Trebark, what type of powder and how many grains are you shooting with the 168VLD's. How's the accuracy? I shoot 51.5 grains of IMR-4350 with a 150 Nosler BT. They group about 1/2", but i am looking for a better load using Berger VLD's. I was considering the 140 or 168's?

What type of scope did you send to leupold to install the new turrets and TMR reticle. Is it a one inch tube scope.

Trebark, what type of powder and how many grains are you shooting with the 168VLD's. How's the accuracy? I shoot 51.5 grains of IMR-4350 with a 150 Nosler BT. They group about 1/2", but i am looking for a better load using Berger VLD's. I was considering the 140 or 168's?

What type of scope did you send to leupold to install the new turrets and TMR reticle. Is it a one inch tube scope.

This rifle shoots the 150 BTs well also. I can't remember the exact load right now, but it's about 58 grains of H4831SC and a Federal 210M primer. Velocity is around 3000

Don't mess with the 140's when the 168's waaaaaaay out perform at long range. My load with the 168VLD is 56.2 grains H4831SC with a Winchester primer. Velocity is 2850 and ES = 12. I'm still tweaking the seating depth, but seated just off the lands, this load is .75moa

The scope on the rifle is a Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40. It started life as a 'standard' scope and I had the custom shop add the M1 turrets and TMR reticle. For this particular rifle I wanted a scope without a side-focus because this is my carry rifle and is used in thick brush and longer-range shooting situations. This rifle holds the record for my longest shot on deer (240) and the shortest (10 yards).

Last edited:
Great! Thanks for the advise. I was just about to order the 140's. I have the 168 VLD's already and the powder you suggested.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.