My 280 - Updated!

Discussion in 'Gun Photos' started by trebark, Aug 9, 2008.

1. trebark

trebark Well-Known Member

After several months of waiting, my rifle is back from the gunsmith. Also, I've had some opportunity to do some shooting with it. Here are the specs and results:

Action: Trued-up Remington 700
    Caliber: .280Rem
    Stock: HS Precision
    Scope: Leupold VXII 3x9
    Barrel: 24" #4 douglas taper, 1:9 twist
    Trigger: stock remington, tuned to a crisp 3lbs.
    Gunsmith: Jim Hart with Hart Rifle Barrels

Here's how it looked when it arrived from the 'smith

[​IMG]

and after an initial coat of brown paint. Additional camo painting to come.

[​IMG]

How does it shoot? how about .375" at 100 yards and 1.25" at 200. If I had not pulled the 3rd shot at 200 the group would have been <.75". (the holes in the top right of the target are from another shooter)

[​IMG]

Then 4.6" at 600 (the two other spots are from another shooter)

[​IMG]

Although I don't have pics, it shot 7" at 800 and 10" at 1000.

All this with factory loaded Remington 150grain PSP bullets!

Finally, while I did the shooting, much of the credit belongs to Hart Rifle Barrels for building a great platform. They did great work and reasonably priced - I would recommend them to anyone.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  2. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

That is very nice.

I guess you went to Rec Fire today. I seem to recognize the mowed grass after having spent many days laying in it.

Jim

3. trebark

Buffalobob:
    It has been like Christmas! Rec fire last week and both days this weekend. I'll be back out tomorrow (Sunday) on range 305 to get the rifle zeroed-in.

4. silvertip-co

silvertip-co Well-Known Member

Re: My 280

Gotta love them 700 heavy barrel models. So much nicer than some of the tree trunks we see on here.

5. runshort

runshort Well-Known Member

Great looking carry rifle. Do you know about how much this rifle weighs?

6. trebark

The rifle weighs-in, with scope, without bi-pod and unloaded, at nine pounds.

The rifles primary use will be east coast deer hunting. So I'll be carrying it most of the time. Nine pounds is about as much as I like on my shoulder for a full day of hunting up and down the rolling hills of Virginia.

7. Charles A

Charles A Well-Known Member

Nice rifle. Have to say I personally liked the black/stainless better, however it looks good in brown.

How where you adjusting for range?

8. trebark

Charles:
    I agree with you on the look of the rifle. As I look at the pics, I rather like the black/stainless too. Fortunately, the paint that is on the rifle is not permanent. I just might strip it back.

In terms of adjustment, just took the caps off and turned the adjustment. The scope has just enough 'come-up' to get on the bottom of a target at 1k. With deer season about to open, I'm not very inclined to change the rifle's configuration because currently the longest shot I could possibly get on the place I hunt is 500 yards. But once deer season is over in January I'll probably change to a 20moa base.

9. Boss Hoss

Boss Hoss Well-Known Member

For factory ammo that is OUTSTANDING!!!! Great shooting!!!

10. trebark

Thanks Boss...what impressed me (if I may toot my own horn) is that it performed like this shooting the inexpensive Remington ammo.

I plan to build one more rifle, then turn my budget towards reloading. Imagine the possibilities!

11. Vapor_trail

Vapor_trail Member

That a sweet sweet gun sir. I wish to have a gun like that some day. Mine is going to be a varmint version though.

12. gbp

gbp Well-Known Member

Gota love the 280. It's been my go to rifle for 20+ years. and I just had mine rebuilt also.

13. trebark

gbp: I think you're right. I think the 280 is just about the perfect round for whitetail deer.

14. trebark

My 280 now has updated optics. Here's a couple pics.

I sent the scope back to Leupold and had them install M1 knobs and mil-dot reticle. If you have Leupold scope and you want to consider having Leupold do some upgrades for you - they do a great job. The new knobs and reticle in my scope are great. The adjustments are reliable and repeatable. The new reticle is crystal clear.

Also, the rings and bases have been upgraded. I changed from the standard Leupold two piece bases with medium rings to Burris Signature Rings and Bases. The rings have the plastic inserts so the scope is canted +30moa. It's a great set-up that is rock solid.

I have also begun to do some reloading for this rifle (can you find primers?). It continues to shoot pretty well at .75 moa with a load of Fed210 primers, IMR4350 and 150grain Sierra Game Kings. From previous testing I know this rifle is capable of .5moa, so load testing will continue.

View from the front

[​IMG]

View from the rear

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009