My 270 WSM burns barrels quickly

10point

Need recommendations for a long range barrel that will allow me to practice and develope long range skills without having to be replaced as quickly as my 270 WSM or my 300 RUM.

Try having your next barrel nitrided, and another good choice for longer life would be a 300 WSM which would have similar ballistics to the 270 WSM. Also, don't let your barrel get hot with quick long strings. I rarely fire more than 3 rounds in 5 min.

I appreciate the info on a Nitride barrel. I was not aware of that material. Shooting over a longer period of time is a good approach. I sometimes get in too much of a hurry.

Keep the barrel cool and clean and it will last a long time. Much has been said about the 270 WSM being hard on barrels, I have not seen this to be true when they are cared for properly.

As mentioned, keep shot strings to 3 rounds and clean bore every 40-50 rounds and you will be amazed how long the barrel lasts. Take the rifle out varmint hunting or do alot of paper punching in a hurry and you will burn up alot of barrel life.

I always tell my potential customers that "HOW the rifle is used and cared for is far more important that what the rifle is chambered in"

Most of the wildcats I have designed and build rifles make the 270 WSM look like an pip squeak. Of course it is not but again, my point is that how you care for and use your rifle is far more important then anything else.

Thanks good info. Will allow more cooling time. I have heard that trying to speed the cooling time by using a wet rag or compress co2 is not a good idea from an accuracy stand point

Lots of guys do it but I prefer not to SHOCK metal with extremely fast temp changes. Odd things can happen to metal if the temp change is to dramatic.

Key is just not let them get really hot to start with.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts