.270 wsm barrel life?

I have a winchester mod 70(at least that is what it started as) in .270 wsm and the factory barrel lasted somewhere around 1000 rounds before i noticed that it was starting to loose accuracy. I am on my second barrel, a schillen #8 27 inch barrel and am just about 200 rounds down the tube on that one.

Shootinfool,
Have you tried cutting back the chamber on the old barrel and re-throating? How many rounds did you have down the barrel of the original caliber?

To both of you,
I think you will find that your barrel life will increase with a quality barrel. I have read alot about guys getting better life when you get a lapped barrel from a quality maker. Keep this post going. My brother is interested in a 270WSM for his boy. I would like to see the results and quality of shooting. I just wish they would make a quality bullet. I think the 270 is an under rated caliber.

Tank

I did not try to cut the barrel and have it rechambered to correct the throat cracking that was going on. it was just a factory barrel and I wanted a different one from the get go. I got another barrel, a schillen select match barrel, in a #8 contour in the same calliber, .270 wsm, and as I said I am only about 200 rounds into the new barrel on this gun. I did not specifically keep track of every round shot through the factory barrel but it was somewhere around 1000 rds give or take. The gun did not shoot all that desireable when I first got it but after bedding and free floating the barrel and a trigger job it was able to get into the .7-.8 range. Now with the new custom barrel it is shooting .3-.4 range. As soon as I get the new stock from Joel Russo and get it on the gun I will post some pics of it as well as some of the targets that I have shot with the new barrel on it.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.