Any interest in a product like this?

• Yes

Votes: 20 74.1%
  • No

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters

MTbackwoods

LRH Sponsor
I recently filed for my provisional patent on a muzzle device that falls in between a suppressor and a muzzle brake. I designed it for those of us that can't and won't justify a suppressor but are tired of having to carry hearing protection in the field and hurry to put it on before a shot. There are one or two similar products on the market but mine is set apart by having a timing nut and an integrated barrel harmonic tuner. I'm getting close to being able to bring it to market and wanted to know if this sounds like something people would be very interested in

Attachments

• IMG_3174.jpeg
    IMG_3174.jpeg
    243.9 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_3173.jpeg
    IMG_3173.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 108
I think if it supresses the sound at all, it has to be classified as a suppresssor (silencer), and has to be ATF regulated (tax stamp).

Not 100% true, but we are arguing semantics. "Redirecting sound" can be used in speech to replace "suppresses sound". It's not the words we use to describe what the thing does that identify it as a suppressor, but the function of the device. A suppressor must have an enclosed chamber that allows gasses to expand prior to exiting the muzzle. In OP's case, it's a single open tube with holes in it. In other words, you aren't truly providing the gas a new, fixed volume to expand in. Take a look at the Surefire Warden vs Surefire cans. Same exterior design except one is basically an open tube the directs noise away from the shooter while the other actually provides the gasses somewhere to expand prior to exiting the muzzle. OP is expanding upon the former with a specific brake design internally and a timing nut.

At a super high level, no baffles / expansion chamber = not a suppressor.