muzzle breaks?

bcd

I've seen where several of you use breaks, but I was wandering do they effect the projectile in any way? For instance would they change poi, reduce velocity, or change trajectory with short or long range shots, or does it just depend on the break? Also what would be the best break that would look like it is the barrel and not some conglamoration added to the end of the barrel for looks, and do its job?

Bryan,
Properly installed,there is no accuracy loss,in fact generally you will be able to shoot better groups as you are not getting beat up by your rifle.Hearing protection is a must for any muzzle break.
If your rifle is zeroed in without the muzzle break on and then the muzzle break is installed POI will change.There is no velocity loss,In my experience.
I have made and installed many different kind of muzzle breaks.If you are interested in some pix let me know and I will try to post them.
308nate

I have the Badger Breaks that Chris mentioned I have them as a removable option... however, you want to be careful in doing this alot ...

My point is that.. it does change the POI a bit when removed.. but not more than about .5" on my rifles...it affects the barrel harmonics when in place or removed... but the accuracy remains the same..

you tend to get better accuracy with one as mentioned above as you are not getting beat up by your rifle...

I get ribbed all the time about a break on my 308 but hey I can see hits at 150 yards and the thing bearly moves when I squeeze the trigger... ;-)

"Badger brake" I cannot find info on this anywhere. could one of you let me know where I can get more info or a pic of this brake?

Thanks,
Ben

The vary best of the brakes will not hurt accuracy! But then there is all the rest, that will to one degree or another hurt accuracy. The Vias break is one that does not hurt the accuracy if it is installed properly! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

i would guess they each and every application is different and you will have to shoot it to see if it affects poi on your rig.. my 7WSM hits in the same group with or without it (Harrels break) i also have a vais on a 6BR but havent got to shoot it much yet and one that is ??? cant remember . bottom line is they all work well and more than likely you wont want to take it off once you see all your impacts.. they are realy great if you dont mind a little more noise
Brien

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.