Muzzle break installer

Musket_0

Looking for someone in North Michigan that will install, or build and install a break for a couple of hunting rifles. Rem 700 in 7mm rem mag, and Savage 111 .270 rem.
Is there such a thing as an easy install break for someone with light tooling experience?

Unless you have access to a lathe and know a little about them I woudl not suggest DIY project of installing a muzzle break.
If you know fo a buddy who is a machinist you could have him do it really easy.

Brownell's handles a brake made by Que Industries. I have installed two myself. All you need is a heat gun. Around $180 for the brake.

Musket_0,

There is often a bit more to fitting a muzzle brake then many think.

First off, more home lathes or even gunsmith lathes will require the barrel to be pulled because the spindle bore inthe lathes are not large enough in diameter for the recoil lug on these rifles.

When I got my machines this was an issue I wanted to deal with properly. Since I was going to be working on large diameter 50 BMG barrels I orders a lathe that is much larger then you everyday gunsmithing lathe.

The perk is that all I have to to is strip the action or the trigger group and chuck it up in the lathe and roll with the live center on the tailstock supporting the muzzle for threading.

This cuts alot of time off the job and there is no need for a barrel vice either.

While fitting a muzzle brake is certainly not a problem for a machinest, for the average hobbiest, some brakes can be a little tricky. Especially if you have to index the brake to a certain location in relation to the rifle.

If you have lathe experience and access to a lathe, installing a brake is a simple matter. If you are not experienced, your project can result in a much shorter barrel to correct a mistake pretty quick.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Access to a lathe is a strong possibility, knowlage of breaks comes a little harder.
confused.gif
A heat gun to install a break??? I guess that would not even come to mind. Ever have trouble with barrel heat? If nothing else, that would be real interesting to see.
With a machined break, is there a performance change from a 2" to a 3" break?
Thanks for the info, Jeff

I had Answer Products install one of there brakes on my .300 Win Mag. They are in Davidson, Mi. (not up north, but in Mi). They did an excellent job and the brake works great. I had it back in less then 2 weeks (I am in MI also).

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.