Muzzle Break

Greg Duerr

This is something totally new to me .........................The Muzzle break. Ok, Im a baby when it comes to recoil, thats probably why I like Varmint rounds, but they dont work to well on Deer or Elk...................So I posted a title for the .280 AI...........Which is what Im looking at for my Deer, Elk Rifle............not sure the .243AI would work,

Now I know im going to want a muzzle break, maybe even for my .243AI I would like to see what I hit rather than wonder if I hit it.

My biggest consern is that some MB that I have looked at look bad on a lot of rifles...............For me its like having a football on the end of your barrel.............Now I have seen some really nice profiled ones that kind of match the end diameter of the rifle barrels....................My one Rifle has a #4 contour 24in PAC NOR ................But I have not receive it so I dont know what the diameter is ...........

What do some of you have and would you recomend anyone............ My biggest fear is getting one installed and not liking it.

Any pictures would be appreciated.

Greg

There are many styles and types of brakes out there. Any good gunsmith should be able to install one that will match the finish and contour of your barrel. Many of the large brakes you may be referring to are installed on big magnum rifles that need a lot of recoil reduction.

The brakes made to fit small contour barrels typically will have a number of small holes rather than slotted vents. This type of brake will reduce recoil and should be sufficient for the calibers you mentioned. The large, sometimes larger than barrel diameter brakes with big slotted vents are far more effective which is why they are used on the heavier magnum rifles. Some think they are ugly........ others think they look pretty cool, just a matter of perspective.:)

Im looking at putting one on my .243 Ackley #4 contour.................One person recomended the Holland break, but it appears like it would be more for the big magnum Calibers, big slots.........................Could you recomend one that would be more contour appealing to my #4 barrel, and at the same time give me the pleasure of seeing my bullet hit those Jackrabbits.

Greg

Im looking at putting one on my .243 Ackley #4 contour.................One person recomended the Holland break, but it appears like it would be more for the big magnum Calibers, big slots.........................Could you recomend one that would be more contour appealing to my #4 barrel, and at the same time give me the pleasure of seeing my bullet hit those Jackrabbits.

Greg

Greg.
Look on Midway at their breaks . they have many to chose from.

For looks the Vais is hard to beat and any good smith can install it. The Vais micro is
probably what you want.

J E CUSTOM

Center shot rifles CSR break. Have it turned down to your barrel diameter and no ports on the bottom to kick up dirt while shooting prone.

Look at the similar threads below or do a search for "MUZZLE BRAKE" or in your case "MUZZLE BREAK" and get yield quite a few results. Most of them are also in you tube.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.