Muzzle Brake on a 270

I often find that my 7 RM Sendero is a pleasure to shoot as well, and one of my favorites to shoot prone.

However, the 243 for the girls has far less recoil. I might let my 17 yo son shoot the Sendero but not the girls who are half his weight.

I would agree. Can't really go wrong with a 243 for a starter rifle, about no matter how one debates it.

When I decided to buy the Sendero for my hunting rifle, I caught a lot of flack for hunting with such a heavy rifle. Now if I let someone shoot it, or when people see how steady and how easy it is to shoot, they don't have much to say. Plus, with a sling, I really don't notice the extra weight compared to some of my other rifles. I'm not saying it's not heavier, I'm just saying that it's not "too heavy." It's a good heavy. haha

MBA well designed MB should reduce recoil and muzzle jump. As others are have already noted, different MBs varies in reduction from one caliber to the next.

My. 270 AI has a 30" barrel with #6 contour was built for 165 to 175 grainers. Recoil is mild but muzzle jump needs to be tamed down. It'll be sporting an MB (stil undecided which one at the moment) after hunting season.

MBA well designed MB should reduce recoil and muzzle jump. As others are have already noted, different MBs varies in reduction from one caliber to the next.

My. 270 AI has a 30" barrel with #6 contour was built for 165 to 175 grainers. Recoil is mild but muzzle jump needs to be tamed down. It'll be sporting an MB (stil undecided which one at the moment) after hunting season.

Correction >>> it s/b "A well designed MB ..." --- I got droided :cool:

A muzzle break on a 270? Seems like a good way to PO your buddy's more than anything else. Going with a better designed stock would be a better option IMO. My 270 with it's 22" barrel and but plate (not recoil pad) isn't bad at all, but my daughters 7mm-08 savage 14, feels like getting jabbed with needles, she's getting a new stock...... My dads 06 savage 110 (it's an old one) can get down right unpleasant with stiff 180gr loads, way more felt recoil than my 7mag ever had with the skinny sporter tube and 175gr partitions.

For the 243 being a good starter, you bet! I'm a little biased there though, both my kids started out with the same 243 I started with 29yrs ago

I brake everything, used to hate them until I installed a good one and it was like angles singing the first time I shot my 270 WSM with it. I've braked all my buddies rifle since also. Noise is not a factor, it's just plain stupid to shoot a rifle without hearing protection, I can't hardly hear elk in the mountains during bow season anymore so now in an effort to keep what I have I don't roll without hearing protection and if some is with me without it I have some for them also.

My daughter is about ready to move up to a center fire, she loves to shoot and is fairly handy at it so I want to keep her moving in the same direction she is now. Her rifle will be light so she can pack it and handle it in hunting situations, stock fit has to be right, chambering will be 6mm Br and it will be braked, it will give her all the fun of her 22lr with more power and range, which is what she really wants cause she wants to shoot farther gun)Main thing is to keep our kids on the range and in the field with us, don't mater what it takes IMO!

I brake everything, used to hate them until I installed a good one and it was like angles singing the first time I shot my 270 WSM with it. I've braked all my buddies rifle since also. Noise is not a factor, it's just plain stupid to shoot a rifle without hearing protection, I can't hardly hear elk in the mountains during bow season anymore so now in an effort to keep what I have I don't roll without hearing protection and if some is with me without it I have some for them also.

My daughter is about ready to move up to a center fire, she loves to shoot and is fairly handy at it so I want to keep her moving in the same direction she is now. Her rifle will be light so she can pack it and handle it in hunting situations, stock fit has to be right, chambering will be 6mm Br and it will be braked, it will give her all the fun of her 22lr with more power and range, which is what she really wants cause she wants to shoot farther gun)Main thing is to keep our kids on the range and in the field with us, don't mater what it takes IMO!
No noise isn't a factor for the shooter, but for the person next to a braked rifle it ****es you off in short order. I bout wrapped a 300WBY around a guys neck because he blew the water out of my eye, and wouldn't stop until I told him I was gonna beat him with his own rifle. Thing was the guy shows up after I was already there and sets up 2 benches over to my left (which was the only benches to my left) when he had the whole range to use and 10 in the other direction. That was experience #1, couple of weeks ago a guy had gotten his girl a 270WSM, it was braked but since I showed up after them and set up as far as I could from them, I waited till she wasn't shooting then I shot, in spite of that it was still annoying as hell. if braking things are your deal great but keep in mind when there's others around that it ain't so great.

I'm not saying don't brake a rifle, I don't see any need at all to brake a 270 though when for a lesser cost you can get a better designed stock with a real good recoil pad and make a pup out of it. I am pointing out though that there are effect that come with a muzzle brake that it's seems precious few ever think of till the damage is done. And coming from a guy that's been on the wrong side of a brake more than once, considering the effect on others would go a long way if you choose to use one on any caliber.

I take care of those around me when I shoot braked rifles but then I shoot with other guys with brakes now so not much of an issue, I've had several guys want a brake installed after shooting beside me at the range never had anyone have a problem and I've had many guys express that my rifles were no different to shoot next to than an unbraked, I used to be the guy ****ed at the range because of brake dude. It's not brakes over all but types of brakes that cause issues, some you can shoot right next to and some you can't be near.
You won't install a new stock with pad for the price of a brake, even a cheap laminate by the time you get it fitted and bedded your over the cost of a brake.
You may not see the need for a brake but I've helped several people out that had quite shooting because of recoil of rifles, my buddies wife will not shoot her 270 win any more because of recoil and we've done the whole list except a brake but she'll shoot his 338 RUM till the ammo is gone and it's braked, she's getting a new 270 with a brake. I have to put a brake on a gals rifle because she won't go hunting with her husband anymore and its a Rem Sendero 7mag, she won't even shoot a 243 because she's so recoil shy but she'll shoot any thing of mine that is braked.
I've seen fathers ruin their kids at the range by making them shoot rifles that they just could not handle, some that level is lower than others some are higher, I could hack a lot of recoil and did so until I detached my retina and had to back it of to protect my eye but now I shoot what ever I feel like again. Can't wait till I get a suppressor, that will be the best of all worlds :D

A well designed MB should reduce recoil and muzzle jump. As others are have already noted, different MBs varies in reduction from one caliber to the next.

2012-10-07_09-56-13_94-1.jpg

(Before)

P3031675_zps4db24e85.jpg

(With JP Enterprise Bennie Cooley muzzle brake).

Thanks! If you're referring to the MB on his .300 Win Mag, yes ... and it's installed by the same gunsmith (Dave Young in Sand Coulee, MT).
yeah, thanks, i want to try one of those and the one from snowy mountain rifles in MT. Need more big boomers though!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.