Mounting a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14X44

MooseMasher

Hi guys! So I finally decided on a rifle and a scope. I'm going to buy a Remington Sendero 300 WM and mount a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14XMC with the Rapid Z-800 reticle. I was reading through the Conquest manual and it says…
"Conquest 4.5 – 14x44 MC = 43 inches /100 yards = 168 clicks"
If I mount this on a flat picatinny rail at what range will I be able to shoot to? If I install the scope on a 20 MOA rail how much does this extend my range? With the 20 MOA rail does that effect how the accuracy of the Rapid Z-800 reticle? ie screw up the yardage shown? Is there an article on the forums or elsewhere that shows how to calculate this?

Thanks in advance!

ps I could probably be easily convinced to switch to the 50 mm objective lens version of the conquest if it will be substantially better.

If the rifle gets sighted in and happens to be right in the middle of the adjustment range, you've got 21.5 inches at 100 yards either way. That gets you to 215 inches at 1000. Now figure out what you need for your rifle and go from there.

The easy answer is - get the 20 MOA rail if you're regularly shooting to 800 or 1000 yards. You'll never use the other half of the adjustments if you happen to sight it in at the halfway point (which may or may not happen; my Sendero miraculously did) so why not extend your range and use the 20 MOA? I use Burris Signature rings, and dropped the front of the scope down 20 in the front ring for the same effect once I found that the 0 inserts had me in the middle.

There are calculators on how much a 20MOA base extends your range, but it depends on many factors such as the distance between your rings, etc.

The Rapid Z doesn't care what you use to mount the scope. You can use cardboard and duct tape if you wish. :D Once your zero is set, you're good to go. It does care, however, what POWER you have the scope set on when you're shooting.

The 50mm will only be "better" as it pertains to this discussion if it has more than the 168 clicks. I suspect it doesn't. However, I put the same scope in 50mm on my Sendero because a few ounces doesn't matter, while my carry rifle got the 44mm objective.

The Zeiss web sight has the calculator to give you the proper magnification to set your scope by to make the rapid z 800 lines work out. They are based on level scope mounting. I have the rapid z 600 and everything worked great. I set the power on 16.5 and use the yardage lines out to 600. I did find it a little awkward trying to center my line of sight that far down in the scope. I found that just going with the moa's worked out better. sighted it in for 500yds- 8.1moa's down for 100yds and 16.4 up for 1,000yds. A friend I shoot with has a 300rum and we couldn't get his z1,000 to work right. he was zeroed at 100, and had to use the 250 line at 500yds and the 700 line at 1,000.

You actually can correct for a 20 moa on the rapid z calculator. In the second column of the main data form there is a space for "Incline Angle (deg)", you input -0.33 it (60 moa in a degree, so 20 moa is 1/3 of a degree, negative since it a declining slope), if you are on level ground. If you're not on level ground, you should be able to add/subtract this number from the actual slope of the ground, but I havent tried that one yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.