Zeiss Conquest mounted on MK5

69firebird

Got a Zeiss 2-10x 42. I can't get it far enough forward on my weatherby. I switched from talley (weatherby) bases and medium rings to Leup bases and rings and gained a little forward movement but the body of the scope (just ahead of the power ring) contacts the rear base with medium rings. I don't want high rings.

Next stop is the grinder for the rear base but still not going to gain much. The sight pitcher/eye relief is darn close, its okay for kneeling or sitting, but a quick pull up shot standing and i have to slide my head back.

Any ideas or tips on other bases/rings. really want this zeiss on my weatherby. I thought maybe a slip on recoil pad but thats not the proper fix.

Older accumark. Medium talley rings new style. Edit- quick detach rings

Ahh, okay, gotcha. I have run those on a model 70, and now run the lightweights on some Vanguards. I have had an HD5 on both the 70 and the Vanguard, as well as some Leupolds. The HD5 was an easy fit, the VX6 and VX3i, not so much. On the Vanguards, in both cases, I ran mediums. On the 70, I can't remember what I ran, but the scope fit in all three cases. BTW, my HD5 is a 3-15, so I don't know how the tube lengths differ, but the eyepiece is the same afaik.

In both cases with the Leupolds, I need the extended bases. But I needed them to bring the scope back more from the front (short tubes). IIRC, at least on the lightweights on Vanguards, you can run the ring/base combo's either direction. So you might take a look at those and see if turning the rear ring around (pushing the ring closer to the opening of the action) is an option for your rifle, and if that might not resolve your problem.

Another thought, worse comes to worse, you could have a spacer put on the stock. I have those on all of my rifles due to my height and build.

Ya with the Leup and talleys I need the bases installed the proper way if I flip the rear it moves the ring back and then I run out of room with the tube so the scope ends up closer to my eye.

Leup bases just went flying out the door I forgot how much I hate the adjustable windage, bases and rings square to the action and centered and I max out my scope windage adjustment! No windage issue with the talleys

Going to keep playing with them maybe try some high rings

Yeah, I really don't care for the adjustable windage rings either.

BTW, I just had to go to some Talley highs as I got a new scope with a 50mm objective and it just barely fit in the mediums. Which would have been fine except I am having a 20 MOA cant cut into them, so I needed just a tiny bit more space between the bell and the barrel.

IIRC, the difference between mediums and highs, at least on the vanguard, was .1 inches, so not too bad.

Yeah, I really don't care for the adjustable windage rings either.

BTW, I just had to go to some Talley highs as I got a new scope with a 50mm objective and it just barely fit in the mediums. Which would have been fine except I am having a 20 MOA cant cut into them, so I needed just a tiny bit more space between the bell and the barrel.

IIRC, the difference between mediums and highs, at least on the vanguard, was .1 inches, so not too bad.

I was looking for the actual difference in height but didn't find it so thanks for letting me know.

I ground abit off the back talley base and the scope is good I gained enough. I'm just being anal.

I even laped those leups and they looked straight. I'd think you could put some side pressure on your scope if you didn't have the rear windage base set right especially with how hard the front dovetail turns.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.