Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14 experiences?

bullfrog

I'm thinking of purchasing a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50 with the Rapid Z 800 reticle for my .264 win mag sporter weight rifle. This model seems to have everything I'm looking for (weight, power, reticle, and looks). Wondering if anyone has any experience with these conquest models. I already have Nightforce, Leupold, Burris, Nikon, Bushnell Elite, Swarovski, and Kahles scopes that I use on my other rifles so I know what these are like. I'm looking for any experiences my fellow shooters have had with the Zeiss Conquest. Thanks in advance for your help.

I also have the 44mm 1" tube model. It's been on an AR-15 for a long time. A friend of mine has same scope on a 25-06 and neither of us have had any problems with them.

We don't have the exposed adjustments, so we don't click them up and down and left/right alot, don't know how important that is to you.? I don't have any opinion on reticle tracking/repeatability.
Optics seem to be very good. Holding zero seems to be very good. Light weight is a plus too.

I would buy another if needed.

I plan on using the reticle for holdover so adjustments aren't that important except for ability to retain zero.

Anybody else have experiences good or bad?

I'm thinking of purchasing a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50 with the Rapid Z 800 reticle for my .264 win mag sporter weight rifle. This model seems to have everything I'm looking for (weight, power, reticle, and looks). Wondering if anyone has any experience with these conquest models. I already have Nightforce, Leupold, Burris, Nikon, Bushnell Elite, Swarovski, and Kahles scopes that I use on my other rifles so I know what these are like. I'm looking for any experiences my fellow shooters have had with the Zeiss Conquest. Thanks in advance for your help.

I have a 3.5-10 z800 on a stw and like it alot. I have 9 zeiss scopes and all track well and always hold their zero. Everything I've read says the rapid z reticle is one of the best BDC reticles out there, I know it works.

Times 2. I really like it a lot, it matches this cartridge for long range. You can check on their site and match your load to get the actual yardages per each range line.

I use the same scope with 44mm obj., and like it on my .300RUM.

I have had one on a 257 for 4 yrs and no problems always tracks good and returns to zero. I dont have the rapid z but either way a great scope you wont regret it.

I like mine a 4.5x14x44 with the RapidZ800

DSCN1246.jpg

the 44 mm mounts lower and is plenty bright for me. I have mounted 3 or 4 of the Conquest 50 mm on other rifles and they mount higher and don't seem that much brighter.

Mine is on a 6.5 rem mag and the reticle matches for my load shooting a 130 gr Scirrocco at 3200 fps and maxing the power at 14 power, makes it simpler than worrying about setting it on a lower power.

I have other scopes with turrets and really like the simplicity of just zeroing and shooting with aiming points on the reticle

RapidZ800May07-2.jpg

YMMV

My brother has one that he really loves. I really like it as well but it hasn't been perfect. Last year when we were getting ready to hunt he asked me to clean because he couldn't get it to come clean. After further inspection we found it has a bunch of little black specks on the INSIDE of the scope. It looks as if the black paint is flakeing off from the inside of the scope or something. He is going to send it in to Zeiss but hasnt had the chance yet. Just something to look for but i do think it is not a normal thing for these scope and would not hesitate to buy one!

go to the zeiss website and look at their rapid z ballistics calculator before you buy, looks like the z600 may be better for the 264 mag or the z1000. just load the data it ask for and it will do the rest, but choose the reticle you want first. Try them all z600,800,1000.

I have two of these scopes, one with the z800 and one with the z1000 reticle.

I did not realize until after I bought them that the z1000 reticle is designed for .308 175gr match loads. The "center" crosswire (the one that doesn't change POI with magnification) is set up for a 500 yard zero. I just don't see this as a practical design for field use.

The z800, OTOH, looks to me like a good choice for most medium to long range chamberings. If I had it to do over, I would have purchased both of my scopes with the z800 reticle. I have my z800 mounted on a .338WM and it seems like a pretty good fit. My z1000 is on a 6.5-284. I don't think that I am going to like this combination. I may either send it to Zeiss to have it fitted with a mildot reticle or try to trade it for a scope with the z800. I have a Remington 700VS in .308 that I could put it on, but then I would have to figure out what to do with the SS 10X that is already on it. Decisions, decisions...

At any rate, I really like these scopes. They have good optics and are not too heavy. Among the Rapid Z reticles, I think the z600 or z800 are likely to be the most practical for hunting.

I too have a conquest 4.5-14 with 800z and have found that the ranges tend to be a little wide for high performance guns,over 3200 or so depending on the bc of the bullets. I shoot a 264 7mm dakota and have had to detune my loads to get them to line up on the various rangesif you want the ranges to be what each line says, however it finially dawned on me that if I just used meters instead of yards that it made up for the increased speed or at least pretty close. love the scope,clarity and the wind marks on every yardage,which are pretty darn close. I am shooting 120 amax at 3325,which is detuned from 3500, and the retical lines up as follows: 200,300 400 500 600 725 850 or pretty close.the scope also has 50 yard increments with no wind so you have to average it with the retical above and below,pretty easy. hope this helps

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts