Mountain Rifle Caliber

GoatHerder

I'm researching my next build. I'd like a light weight deer rifle, titanium action carbon barrel and stock. Shots will be under 500 yards but practice to 1000. I have 20 plus years reloading so over the counter ammo isn't needed. I'd like this rifle to be short (around a 20 inch barrel) so it is very packable. Also I don't want a magnum caliber. Any insight is welcome.

Last edited:
7-08, 308,260 ,284,6.5 creedmoore.
I was planning on building a light weight 260ai,but after looking at how many 7mm bullets I have on my loading bench I decided a 7-08 was a much cheaper option. Plus it it gets used for stuff bigger than deer I prefer a bigger bullet.

I've got a 5.5 pound mountain rifle, 22" barrel-- it's an-06 easy to find componants, plenty good for big game, light weight bullets for mid size, and heavies for larger if you like....its hard to beat an -06 in mountain rifles.
Other caliber I like is a 280ai, but a short action can drop some weight, so then your 308 case size comes into play-- , 7-08, 308, 284w
Lots of good options for 500 and under, just pick yer poison

When I think mountain rifles I think short action but if I had a nula 30/06 or similar then a 223 would probably be about the only other gun I hunted with.

I like the 280ai,284 but a 6.5x55,6.5x284 would be good also. No need to stick to short action calibers, the weight saving is minimal at best. Bolt throw is a mute point. Shoot the caliber/ gun that you have confidence in, and that fits you and practice.

SemperFi

Last edited:
It's already been mentioned, but I'd also pick a 7mm SAW. Since you reload and don't need factory ammo the SAW is a cool hot rod caliber that would be a perfect match for a titanium action and carbon wrapped barrel! All the other caliber choices just seem boring in comparison.

https://westtexordnance.com/7mm-saw/

I build a 6.5 cm with a 20" proof and vx6 3-18x50 scope. The rifle with suppressor is 8.5 lbs and without the can is 8lbs 2 ounces. It runs a 140 at 2800 and is my go to long *** hike rifle. I also have a 22" 6.5 PRC barrel I may spin on for more range but doubtful. That lil creed is super easy to shoot and very accurate. I built it for wolf hunting but would hesitate to chase deer with it for long range hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.