horsemans mountain rifle

My guess is..there is not a saddle rifle out there that hasn't seen rough use.It will be tested.Reach doesn't matter if it doesn't hold zero.Just a matter of how you maintain reliable performance.I 'm looking for something new in an ancient trade.I'm known to be sticky on my mount when required, always carry a catch rope and can keep the bulk of my shots in the 8 ring offhand at 100 yards.That is just it.I would say average in my crowd.But most of us still shoe a horse like our great grandfather did..and his too.I cannot see any creative solutions for for a rifle carrying guy on a horse.And the horsehoeing these days is really what cripples em-Is there anybody that makes a scope sighted rifle for us in 2014? Tag your it.

When i pickex this piece up thats what it was used for. Had a leupold 3to9 by 33 so it would fit a standard scabbard. Can still get away with longer barrels because the action is so compact.

Attachments

• 0827101536.jpg
    0827101536.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 45
My guess is..there is not a saddle rifle out there that hasn't seen rough use.It will be tested.Reach doesn't matter if it doesn't hold zero.

Grandpa's solutions, skill sets, and technology were for a particular set of circumstances, and needs. Not bad choices, not unworkable, but not generally the same for most of our needs today. Matt Dillon's single .45 round center mass still gets the job done, and a Model 94 still provides a good solution for a man working full time to engage targets of opportunity.

With the game changing to taking advantage of limited recreational opportunities needs have changed. Modern example the Idaho rancher killing the wolf harassing his home. The man in the game prevailed, others weighed in, but the man in full time was there when the opportunity presented.

When the game is played Saturday morning through Sunday evening the circumstances change. A lot of weekends may pass before a shot presents that is close, and there is ample time to set up ideally,

BigNgreen and Broz are only about .5mm apart in their rifle solutions, and either of those well thought out set ups are workable. The challenge is in the scabbard in my opinion, something offering the speed and access of Grandpa's set up is unlikely, but there are some pretty creative solutions out there. Go to the search bar top right corner, and type in saddle scabbards. A couple of pretty good threads in there, sounds like you may be in need of reading material.

Hell, will I get used to this computer thing?Elkhunter1983 is that a Dakota?-looks sweet.I have a Ruger#1, but I don't find it that trustworthy,could be me.Anyways thanks for the info ,bet the long range rifles mentioned earlier are effective .Maybe I was not to clear,but here goes.The caliber of choice is the 25/06(24" tube)the rifle light,very handy,short o.a.l,very reliable.I will shoot to 300 yards, comfortably.Easy to maneuver, climbing afoot.What have you used in this category?What are you thrilled with?Thanks folks

Maybe I was not to clear,but here goes.The caliber of choice is the 25/06(24" tube)the rifle light,very handy,short o.a.l,very reliable.I will shoot to 300 yards, comfortably.Easy to maneuver, climbing afoot.What have you used in this category?

I think the Weatherby Ultra Light, with a 2.5-10x Nightforce, and velocity reticle might be your best choice.

The one piece stock of the bolt action would give me more confidence about repeatability.

Thanks ..I know what you mean about bolt action rifles and I own quite a few.I really trying to get away from length. A rifle like this with a 24" barrel is to long for me.The Browning has a 28"and rates low as a jack handle ,maybe too pretty.She would be the belle of the ball.I think her young, plain, smaller sister might be a better dancer ..But, where is she? Take care.

I own several falling and rolling block rifles, I would much prefer a 20inch barreled bolt gun to a 24in barreled falling block for a rifle than was going to get thrashed around on a horse in the mountains. I've seen several falling blocks locked up because they got a wet chamber and when fired there was not enough extraction power to pull the round I've done that with a bolt gun and you may get some pressure signs but you'll be able to extract the round and keep shooting.
Not to mention I usually want to be laying down a field of fire one a pack of predators not picking shells out of the chamber one at a time. :D
The up side is when you get a falling block rolled you can just order the butt stock and not replace a whole stock that will need pillars and bedded again like the bolt gun.

All good advice-thanks(it is so personal)I am in Canada.We cannot get any rifles /shooting supplies across the border. US customs issue, here in Canada our customs have no problem though.On another thread I have been trying to get machined copper bullets here and so far it hasn't happened.That is minor really, USA is our greatest friend .God bless .

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.