horsemans mountain rifle

I see the highwall has a external hammer..it is superior in many ways to the #1.I could not find out if it is completely safe with a cartridge in the chamber under duress.

Just for the record I went with a browning blr takedown-270 win.This will be my 3rd .270 and I have them all yet.Just wish it was offered in the 25/06.We all have different expectations of a mountain rifle and it is good to hear them.Many of us hunt a variety of mountain game.I will always put sheep as the primary objective.This year I am planning on Stones and bighorns,.Northern and southern BC.Thanks, take care.

Well, not to throw a wrench in anything but a great mountain rifle that is short, medium light, magazine fed and accurate is a ruger gunsite scout rifle. I bought this for a carry round in the truck, farm atv, multiple wolf, man defense rig. I had it accurized and installed a timney trigger and I got to tell you, for a shorter rig, it is extremely accurate with factory federal match sierra 168 grain boat tails. It shoots consistently 1/2 at 100 with just plain ole factory stuff. You have a choice of a 5 round or ten round magazine and it is a pleasure to carry. It's in 308 so one could load most anything---I just happen to have a buttload of federal match from a previous life so that's what I pack. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot it out to 600 ish as it holds moa to that distance. I carry it in a eberlestock mini me pack which works great for this kind of a rig. You also have a multitude of sighting options due to the fact that you can use the picitinney rail or the scope rings.
And like Broz, I've tried about every way to pack a rifle on a horse but I settled on pretty much a straight up carry. It is out of the way and you can pull the rifle out as you are dismounting for those really quick long range shots........gun):D.

Randy

I like your rig Randy! Nice set up, good looking saddle and horse. He's looking nice and fuzzy! Do you pack a blanket of any type for him? I'm really liking the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle. Thanks for sharing the pics.

DocB

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts