most accurate out of the box factory rifle?

Am I the only one here who thinks that the person who takes a factory rifle out of box, works up proper loads, knows how to dope wind, knows how to hold the rifle, knows how to aim the rifle , and know how to release the trigger properly is far more important to accuracy than the brand name and model on the box? How a rifle shoots from a bench is only important if you're shooting from a bench. Try shooing a proven 1/4 moa benchrest rifle offhand sometime and you'll see what I mean.

If you can reliably shoot centered 1 moa groups prone with a sling you can be the national champion in high power competition. The X ring on the 600 yard target is 6" diameter and the 800,900 and 1000 yards target x ring is 10" . A perfect score in a match is very rare.

I'd like to say Savage, and leave it at that. Unfortunately it's not that easy. Most Savages do shoot well (they actually have some quality control left, imagine that) but to generalize and say ALL Savages shoot well would be a lie. I own 3 different Savages, and am going to build a custom rifle on their RBLP target action, and they all shoot great. Although everything makes a difference, the barrel/chamber is the most critical part. Some Savages just don't shoot, but this is not a general rule.

If I were you, I'd buy Savage and not look back. If you ever wanted to tinker, they're also easy to "gunsmith" yourself (swap barrels, etc.).

Good luck. If you get a lemon, Savages are easy to turn into "lemonade" lol.

Am I the only one here who thinks that the person who takes a factory rifle out of box, works up proper loads, knows how to dope wind, knows how to hold the rifle, knows how to aim the rifle , and know how to release the trigger properly is far more important to accuracy than the brand name and model on the box?

Nope. Check-out page 11.

That is why I added my Howa to the list. I think both my scoped rifles shoot better than I do. I was at .58moa at 300 yards with both scoped rifles until yesterday, (one being a lever action.)

The way I see it, if my lever action can shoot that well, most any rifle can.
Take my Eddystone US Model of 1917; it has an eroded barrel that can be seen easily with the naked eye, but when I had a scope on it I got .75moa regularly.

I just picked up a Sendero SF-II in .300 RUM. Loaded up 5 rounds with 180gr Hornady Interlocks and 85gr RL22. Group was 0.477" center-to-center @ 100 yards. These were just my break in rounds. I'd like to call that fairly accurate.

I just picked up a Sendero SF-II in .300 RUM. Loaded up 5 rounds with 180gr Hornady Interlocks and 85gr RL22. Group was 0.477" center-to-center @ 100 yards. These were just my break in rounds. I'd like to call that fairly accurate.

Tang, I just bought the same gun, I pick mine up on Thursday. Sounds like a nice shooter.

I've been blessed with some great shooting rifles. I have a Cooper that was at the top of the heap but I bought a T/C Icon in .308 last year that is pretty phenomenal, it's capable of making holes touch at 200 yards when I do my part don't know if it is the 5R rifling or not but my guess is it might be.
I have a Weatherby Vanguard Sporter in .270 that I've fiddled around with and have it shooting MOA with factory hunting ammo.
Two Savage Model 14's one in .223 and the other in .204 Ruger they are both good little varmint rifles but the .204 was better out of the box than the .223 which has come around after a couple hundred rounds.
I'm working with a Winchester M70 in .300 Win mag right know that has some real promise.
My only 700 is in 6mm Rem and albeit an older rifle that doesn't see much use any more it can shoot also.
I guess out of the box is a toss-up between the Icon, Savage .204, and the Cooper.
It doesn't surprise or dishearten me to have to tweak a production rifle in order to improve accuracy. In fact it's a pleasant surprise if I don't, Best wishes.

I've owned and shot about 50 Rem 700's in the last 17 years or so.....while a lot of them shot really well they are not the best I have had...the top honours for a factory rifle goes to a Sako 75 stainless 6.5x55...it was rediculously accurate with 130 Accubonds or 140 AMax's pushed with Rel22.......some groups ran under a half inch with an average of about 5/8".......a Sako M995 in 30-06 was also a true consistent <3/4" hunting rifle with 168 TSX's and 60grs of Rel19...I just bought an M995 in 300 Win Mag and I hope it does as well...

Another one.....get this...a few years back I acquired a 1976 vintage Marlin 336 straight grip rifle in 30-30 with an old 2.5-8X ScopeChief. First time at the range I shot a 3 shot group of .530" @ 100 yards with Remington 170 gr factory loads...thought it was a fluke but I followed it up with a .71" group......let it cool and a friend shot a .66" group.....absolutely amazingly accurate Marlin......

I'm working on a load for my 5r mil spec .308. Sierra 180 gr hpbt over 40 grains of Varget. It's taken me a while to get my elevation adjustments to match my balllistic program. I'm good out to 430 yards but my attempts out to 640 yards are not consistent. I've settled on plugging 2350 fps into bulletflight for my ipad and that seems good. Any thoughts or pet load specs would be much appreciated!

Here's how a totally stock Suhl 150 did at 50 yards.
Picture005.jpg

gentelmen! Those are true bug holes!
glt

I have 3 Remingtons, a 700 VS in .223, a 700 VSF in .22-250 and a 700 VSF in .308 that will all shoot to a 1/4" if I do my part but I also reload for them all which seemed to get that last bit of accuracy out of them. My Remington custom built rifles do that all day with ease though.

good for you, my 700VS shot 4.25" groups with hand loads. But was a good and solid five inch shooter with Federal ammo!
gary

Re: Kimber

Kimbers will shoot, once they've been back to the factory to get tweeked. I've had 2 montana's (one would'nt eject, the other did'nt come with the redoil lug bedded-like advertised) Had a Kimber .22 SVT that the firing pin would'nt strike match ammo hard enough to ignite, have a Kimber .22 hunter that works and shoots great, but it does take some manipulation to get the clip to stay in. A pards kimber would'nt chamber factory ammo!

I would have to say, Savage. But, it's like driving a moped.........they're cool until you friends see you on one! I wish they did'nt have to be so ugly and the actions just feel cheap.

you see that's what I have always thought about Remingtons and Kimbers. Too much money for way too big of a group
gary

talk all this you want, but go out and watch a factory benchrest match sometime. They don't call it "the Savage Line" for nothing. You can't win with the others, and the boys squeezing the triggers know this.

Last, nobody shooting and winning at benchrest uses a Remington action, except for HBR, and that is going to change with the new rule changes.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts