More 338LM Issues.

what you need to do is back-light the gap between the die's base and the shell holder, after you've ran the case all the way up into the die.

The Savage chamber is very tight...

If you take a flash light and hold it behind the press, looking at die base/shell holder junction, and see if there is a gap between the shell holder with the case in the die, that'll be of some help.

Most folks just adjust the die to touch the shell holder without the case in the die... but once the press is under a load, the linkage springs a bit and you'll find a 1/32" gap (for instance) between the base of the die and the shell holder, whereas there was no gap when you adjusted the die with no load on the press.

I've loaded for a lot of Savage rifles over the past few years, and they all have tight chambers, and they all require an absolute FL sizing to get the shoulder back enough for the cases to chamber.

so again... check the die base/shell holder union with a flashlight with the case in the die... see if there's a gap. if there is, screw the die down another 1/4 turn or whatever it takes to *just* eliminate that gap.

The cases should chamber easily, and you should be able to close the bolt with one finger...

Dan

what you need to do is back-light the gap between the die's base and the shell holder, after you've ran the case all the way up into the die.

The Savage chamber is very tight...

If you take a flash light and hold it behind the press, looking at die base/shell holder junction, and see if there is a gap between the shell holder with the case in the die, that'll be of some help.

Most folks just adjust the die to touch the shell holder without the case in the die... but once the press is under a load, the linkage springs a bit and you'll find a 1/32" gap (for instance) between the base of the die and the shell holder, whereas there was no gap when you adjusted the die with no load on the press.

I've loaded for a lot of Savage rifles over the past few years, and they all have tight chambers, and they all require an absolute FL sizing to get the shoulder back enough for the cases to chamber.

so again... check the die base/shell holder union with a flashlight with the case in the die... see if there's a gap. if there is, screw the die down another 1/4 turn or whatever it takes to *just* eliminate that gap.

The cases should chamber easily, and you should be able to close the bolt with one finger...

Dan

Agreed. I load for a 338 L based cartridge and have a tight chamber. I had to go quite a bit past the standard cam over in order to get the shoulder to bump enough to chamber without effort.

Steve

Well after driving Myself crazy over the whole thing I took it to a Smith yesterday, after noticing some rub marks on the lock lug of the bolt we figured out the issue... You ready for this?????? The rear screw on the front the scope rail was a scoshe too long so the lock lug would catch on it while closing the bolt, Nice huh? Anyway I got the issue resolved and now I will work on correcting my pressure issue's, fired a round while at the Smith's place and totally flattened the primer on 91.5gr H-1000 with a COAL of 3.681+/-.

Well, I am glad to hear you found it. I wish I would have asked about this earlier as I have seen this before. But it didnt sound like this was the issue to me. Anyway for what its worth, on a 700 rem the front trigger guard screw will do the same thing as well.

The good things about issues like this is, it forces us to look closer at things and when it is over many things have been learned. I look forward to hearing your further results with your rifle.

Jeff

I just prepped and primed 30 cases for some testing, I'm going to start with 85gr of H1000 and go up in .5 gr increments with a COAL of 3.681. I'm a little confused as to min-max loads since everything I read is different as far as what My Lyman manual, Hodgdon site, and what Berger told Me. They are all different.

I just prepped and primed 30 cases for some testing, I'm going to start with 85gr of H1000 and go up in .5 gr increments with a COAL of 3.681. I'm a little confused as to min-max loads since everything I read is different as far as what My Lyman manual, Hodgdon site, and what Berger told Me. They are all different.

The big thing these days is power lots. They vary up to 4 gr in a 338 LM with a 300 bullet. So I think your plan is good. 85gr is on the low end, but will be safe. Then as you get towards 89 gr start to watch closely. I have seen ejector marks show up as early as 90. But most 338 lms with 300's get to 91 and some to 92.5 like mine. Any load with a 300 gr bullet at 93 gr was hot in every 338 LM I have worked with. So you can see how a powder lot 3 to 4 gr hotter will be so important and rifle / powder lot specific while developing loads.

All my data is from Lapua head stamp brass. I doubt any other headstamp will get to these levels before pressure shows up with ejector pin shadows.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.