More 338LM Issues.

Leyerly338

Iv'e been working on load Development for My 110FCP, Have close to 100rnds through it so far. Have tried some loads using US869, H1000 and IMR4831. It seems to like 100gr of US869 and 91.0gr of H1000 the best and pushing Berger OTM's @ .020" Jump so far, I'll tighten that up soon. The issue is the Brass keeps sticking in the chamber and I have to use the cleaning rod to free them, with lite taps only. I don't see any obvious signs of a pressure issue but this is also My first experience with hand loading. Bolt closure is only slightly tight at the lock down point but it's tight to lift the bolt and open it as well. It seems to have only issues with the close to land loads, the .070" jump rounds don't stick at all. Any ideas?? I talked to a Smith who said 99% of the time it's a dirty or tight chamber that could be polished out. Thanks in advance.

HSM (Bertram) Brass 2.714"
Fed 215 match primers
Berger 300gr OTM's
100gr US869 & 91.0gr H1000
Savage 110FCP
26" Tube
9" twist.

It seems to have only issues with the close to land loads, the .070" jump rounds don't stick at all.

As such, it's not likely a dirty or tight chamber.

It's more likely pressure related. And, your pressure is increasing as you approach the lands.

Either keep it at .070" jump.

And/or, back down on your powder before moving closer to the lands. Then, work up again looking for signs of pressure including, but not limitted to sticky bolt lift.

-- richard

Sure sounds like pressure to me. I would back it off to 89 gr of H-1000 and see how it acts as far as the sticking issue. The newer lots of H-1000 are said to be hotter than older lots by 3 grains. So this could very well be it as about any 338 LM I have seen is Hot at 92 to 93 gr with old lots.

Are you using Lapua headstamp brass?

Also I dont like the sounds of the "Bolt closure is only slightly tight at the lock down point" either. This could be that you are not getting the shoulder bumped back far enough and need to set the die deeper.

Anyway, I say back her off, and work with seating depth then. You may be playing on the edge of a potential disaster.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, so would what would You recommend for the rounds I already have loaded? I have 3 @.050" Jump with 91.5 of H1000, and 1 ea. of 91.0 @.030",.040" and .050". And 2 @.050" with 100.4 of US869. Another question I'm certain I need to push the shoulder back during re-sizing and thanks for the heads-up. I'm more than a little leary at this point aws I don't want to blow My gun up in My face.

Thanks Jeff, so would what would You recommend for the rounds I already have loaded? I have 3 @.050" Jump with 91.5 of H1000, and 1 ea. of 91.0 @.030",.040" and .050". And 2 @.050" with 100.4 of US869. Another question I'm certain I need to push the shoulder back during re-sizing and thanks for the heads-up. I'm more than a little leary at this point aws I don't want to blow My gun up in My face.

You should set them aside or pull the bullets and reduce the charge. I can not speak for the 869 loads but the H-1000 is what I know best in the 338 LM. Remember, pressure is pressure reducing the charge does not mean you are loosing anything, only saving powder really. You should get good velocity just before pressure signs show up.

If the shoulder is too long it can also cause your problem. But lets get the shoulder thing fixed first and reduce the charge and get you safe. Then work with seating depth. You can always work the charge up slowely after the rifle and load are happy and safe. Then you will know for sure what is going on.

Jeff

I am definitely going to set them aside until I can pull them. The 90.0gr rounds I loaded previously had zero issues with sticking in the chamber, only tight bolt closure which is something I'm learning to adjust when sizing. Thanks again for all the input You have giving Me so far, Greatly appreciated.

No problem at all. Glad to help. There is much to know and learn. I am still learning after 30 plus years..:) Thats what keeps it interesting. But above all keep it safe.

Jeff

As for the tight bolt closure, it can also be caused from over-zealous crimping AND/OR case overall length too long. Are you seating/crimping in one operation or do you seat the bullets THEN crimp on it's own?

Jeff, is it possible that my chamber is cut a scoshe too short? Reason I ask is that I started re-sizing spent cases and in trying to roll the shoulder back some and testing in My rifle I cannot get the bolt to close easily. I have adjusted the die and it is still won't close easily.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.