Moly help?

The reason the bullets were rough after dry tumbling is that the media had built up excess moly on it and the moly build up is being transferred to the copper jackets.

Using hot water and dish soap will clean the excess moly off the media, but it makes such a big mess, I will just bag up the old media and dispose of it.

I don't know what moly is being used, but 2 spoonfulls is way too much. I use the midway moly and only add 1/16 teaspoon per 100 bullets to be coated.

I haven't had the problem yet, but I understand using over coated bullets may cause "glassing" of the bore and I heard it can be very difficult to remove.

I coated some more bullets over the weekend. Still trying to perfect this wet coating process. It is very deceiving, I tumbled the snot out of them(Over night) again and wasn't seeing much happen. I know that there is enough molly there as it is litteraly mud. I put a heater next to the tumbler and I think that helps. Again, I finally gave up and pulled the bullets out after all night and all day in the tumbler. They didn't seem coated much at all! After cleaning them up and drying them off in an old shirt, they seem to get darker and darker. It's kinda strange honestly. I think that warm Temps seem to help and I also think I need to add more BB'S to the tumbler. Bullets look great however and the moly doesn't come off on your fingers and they don't have that "Build up" look.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.