Moly removal

I've used Kroil too, but have had to resort to JB paste to get all traces of moly out of barrels. I find moly more hassle than it's worth, and don't use moly coated bullets anymore.

Kroil will not remove Moly. Try Montana Extreme 50 BMG or their Copper Creme.

Moly is not easy to get out even with them. Guys either love it or hate it. I could never get it to work for me.

BH

[ QUOTE ]
Ackley, Just run a little acetone down your barrel on a patch and moly is gone. Then, clean the barrel real good.

[/ QUOTE ]
forgive me but what is "acetone" Iam in the UK and have never heard of this product

I think most ladies nail varnish remover is acetone based - I think we have it up here in Haggis country so you should be okay.

Ackley, Acetone is sold here in the US in hardware stores. It is a solvent like lacqer thinner. Yes, it is a part of finger nail polish. Acetone is just stronger since it is the pure stuff.

thanks for all the comments I have found some pure acetone from a local smith,I have already scrubbed with kroil and JB hopefully I might have shifted the stuff but the acetone will make sure,I hope it doesent harm a Krieger match barrel

Acetone will not hurt barrels at all unless you swab out the barrel and don't reil it , acetone willremove all oil from the bore and alot of guys say that you can have your barrel to "dry" and it'll foul realy bad.

I use Moly in a couple of my guns that have cheaper barrels and they get shot in higher volume like my factory varmint guns. I have found that in some calibers Iwas able to get a little better accruacy with moly coated bullets I think its do to having to use more powder to get the same velocity as un-coated bullets which give you better load density. Otherwise , I don't bother with it anymore.

When I remove moly from one of my guns , I swab it out several time with acetone then use strait JB bore paste for a dozen or so strokes they clean like normal , thats always worked good for me

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.