Moly Vs. Non-Moly

moly coated bullets

The use of molly is still controversal.I have used them in varmit loads and big game loads.if you have a known good load moly will reduce pressure and velocity due to reduced friction in the bore, however if you bump the charge up you can get back the velocity.The usual claim is more shots before cleaning is needed.I have gotten some really great velocity preformance using moly bullets by starting with them and working up as usual and no pressure problems. Cleaning can be an issue!! use them but clean like usual. There will be dark traces on the patch, oil after and use something like KROIL.
OLD BEAR

If you do a search on any of the shooting/hunting boards you will get more feedback & opinions than you will be able to read during the entire year of 2008.

Personally, I still use moly coated bullets (using the NECO method) on my high volume varmint rigs. I see no reason to use moly coated bullets in my biggame rifles.

Moly is just another variable that a new reloader/shooter can do without. If you are an experiencedd reloader than it may be something new to experiment with. Some guys swear by moly - some guys swear at it.

Shooters have been using moly in one form or another, off and on, since about WWI (one), and it's still never really caught on.

I've used a lot of moly bullets; IMHO it just ain't worth the bother.

OK - IMO moly will reduce fouling and makes bore cleaning faster and easier.

It is also my opinion that it reduces heat caused by friction.

Moly will reduce stress on thin bullet jackets when using target bullets in fast twist barrels. This could be very important in guns that "dust" bullets just outside of the muzzle.

Moly "may" improve accuracy but an inaccurate rifle will not magically become accurate with moly coated bullets. Accurate loads for moly bullets are generally different than loads for the same bullet w/o moly.

Moly "may" increase velocity at a given pressure but it would take a slight increase in powder charge to get there.

Since the use of moly remains controversial - these are my OPINIONS based on many years of using moly coated bullets.

**Lastly - After using moly coated bullets in many barrels, custom and factory, I have yet to experience and moly build-up or other problems associated with the use of moly that you can read about on the million+ threads devoted to this topic. My guess is that any real problems that may have developed where caused by the shooters who believed that they could shoot several hundred rounds or more without cleaning the bores because their bores and bullets were moly coated.

Last edited:
I will point out one problem I had with moly: I didn't know how to use it and how to clean it. I took bad advice and didn't research it enough. Moly attracts moisture and I didn't clean after a hunting season. My bore got a little rust in it. Before the incident, I swore by moly because my group size did reduce when I used it in a factory rifle. But I don't think I will ever use it again.

Blitz - good point but I think that problem is the exception rather than the rule.

All of my barrels are stainless steel and I have never experienced and rust what-so-ever. But others have claimed that moly could cause rust in non-ss barrels.

In a regular steel barrel it would have been a good idea to run an oiled patch through the barrel after shooting, as a precaution. I usually clean my barrels after each session and leave a film of Shooters Choice or similar p-roduct in the bore until the next outting. Guns left for any period of time routinely get treated with Break-Free CLP.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.