Micro or Extra Short Actions - Who makes them and how small?

300magman

I recently discovered there was such a thing when (in a bout of 22lr shortage induced madness) I began looking at who still made rifles in 22 magnum. That lead me to the Ruger 77/22 which started me thinking of small reloadable cartridges and eventually lead to my discovery of the CZ-527 and Savage Model 25.

Anyway, as there really isn't anything to look at locally (small poorly stocked shops only) I do most of my browsing online; but that makes it hard to get an idea of the real size of things.
Does anyone have a picture of these "smaller" actions next to a regular short action?

Also, are there any other similarly sized rifles out there that I might want to consider? And is the Ruger significantly smaller than the CZ & Savage? I suspect it is, as its offerings include both the 22 Hornet & 22Mag where as the other two range from 22 Hornet to 223 Rem.

At the moment I'm thinking of getting something like a 22 Hornet (or if anyone makes one, or one that can easily be converted, a 22 K-Hornet, 221 Fireball or anything else in between those sizes . . perhaps 218 Bee) all of which I'm thinking could be loaded with Trail Boss for small critters in place of a 22lr or used full strength for larger varmints.

Hello - A few of CF "micro" actions that I'm aware of:

The Browning Micro Hunter (I don't think its still being made but you should find used examples)
The Charles Daly Mini Mauser - quite common
The Steyr Mannlicher SL (also no along produced and probably not common in your country)
The Sako Vixen (the Sako 85 is still offered in a micro length)

And there are others - have fun looking !!

How about a TC Encore and can pistol, rifle,shotgun or muzzleloader. There are a variety of barrels and lengths of barrels available including custom ones. Matt

I'm not a real fan of the TC's, I can see the attraction to some, but for me the break action, single shot rifles don't hold a great appeal. Not that I have anything against them, they just don't speak to me.

I really must find a way to get a comparison of one of these micro actions with a regular short action. I've heard the Rem model 7 short action is 1/2" shorter than the standard 700, but if these micro actions are actually shorter than that and/or smaller in diameter as well then I think they would be a great platform for something like the 22 Hornet in a light weight carry rifle. To me the full size short actions are just HUGE for cartridges like the 223 or even a standard length 22-250.

Hello - A few of CF "micro" actions that I'm aware of:

The Browning Micro Hunter (I don't think its still being made but you should find used examples)
The Charles Daly Mini Mauser - quite common
The Steyr Mannlicher SL (also no along produced and probably not common in your country)
The Sako Vixen (the Sako 85 is still offered in a micro length)

And there are others - have fun looking !!

The Browning Micro's are still being made but are now x bolts. They are called the micro midas but they aren't a micro action- I owned one for years and my wife shot it but when she moved onto a different rifle I gave it to a buddy for his kid. Mine was a micro medallion in 7mm 08 and I have a leupold vx3 1.5x5 on it and it was a sweet rifle.

the new x bolts are chambered in anything from 22-250 to 300 wsm. Although they are smaller in frame for smaller shooters, they are pretty much just a short action. Definitely not a micro action-

michael

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.