Meplat trimming pf Nosler 180 Grn Partitions

I shot the partitions as a teenager (many years ago). The tips are supposed to be that way. It helps start the expansion of the lead. They are designed to be hard-hitting, with the lead opening up to a mushroom quickly and the solid, protected lead base gives it the penetration. On broadside shots, I don't ever recall recovering one. They are deadly, but the BC sucks for LRH - which is why I ultimately moved away from them.

Last edited:
Hi Guys, here are two of them. They all look like this. This tiny out of round protrusion of Lead at the very tip. Since I only have been shooting Ballistic Tips and Accubond Long Range bullets, this caught me by surprise. Just looks sloppy . I was hoping not to trim off the tip, but simply to bring it more to a uniform point. I thought the meplat trimmer might be useful, I see now it would not. These bullets will be used in my .300 Weatherby Mag, at 3000 FPS, for an east coast Elk Hunt. Penn or Kentucky. The range will likely not exceed 400 yards. Thank You all for the responses, really helpful . Lenny
were these grade C blems?

Please understand that I am in no way recommending any meplat trimmer to trim a non-open-tipped bullet.
Interesting question, at least to me, right now as I read all this:
If the problem is just the shape of the lead tip, and others recommend not trimming (or 'cutting' the lead tip [with something like the Sinclair Meplat trimmer]), then is it possible to effectively re-shape the lead by turning the trimmer in reverse, shaping rather than cutting?

Interesting question, at least to me, right now as I read all this:
If the problem is just the shape of the lead tip, and others recommend not trimming (or 'cutting' the lead tip [with something like the Sinclair Meplat trimmer]), then is it possible to effectively re-shape the lead by turning the trimmer in reverse, shaping rather than cutting?
As far as I know, it only has cutting/trimming ends.

I've shot 180 grain partitions in multiple 30 cal guns including the weatherby. Haven't had any issues with the tip being off a bit. Also I've had them get flattened out in the magazine due to recoil. Still with no effect on accuracy. Nosler makes both a point and a protected point partition which just has a bit off a flatter nose. I shoot either one that I can find. They shoot the same and same results on game.

Hi Guys, I really need some direction. I am about to make an Elk Load for my 300 Weatherby Mag. A 1970s Rifle, 26-inch, 10 Twist , Mag na ported. I purchased some Nosler 180 Grn. partitions Blems. I have never loaded partitions in any of my other rifles before, and I have noticed that very tip of each bullet has a tiny rounded protrusion of lead, or something. I think I need to purchase Meplat trimmer to correct this tiny round protrusion?? If that is correct , can anyone suggest the trimmer I should purchase. ??? Thanks for any help Guys, lenny
Hi Lenny,
I used to load 180 grain partitions, for my 300 win mag, never had need to touch the bullets, they were all very accurate 0.5 inch or less if I did my part with the annual sight-in check. Unless something has changed in the bullet quality from nosler but never got blems back then. I have purchased some blems for my other calibers had have not seen any problems with them. I have since re-barrelled that rifle, but that 180 grn was my go to elk round for close to 20 years. Sounds like you have a nice shooter there with your Weatherby. James

Great information and thanks to one and all. As I begin the load development process, with what I think is good choice of bullet for Elk, these less than perfect Blem's will soon be burned up at the range. The seller on Gun Broker, has more, but I will pass on buying a second package. !!!Since we started this thread, I have learned much from you guys, and I have also learned that there is an option for 'Pointing " bullets. It's not a Meplat tool, but something else. As I love to keep learning, I will research the Bullet Pointer. I'm sure that the pack of 50 Mystery Grey Powder Coated Nosler partitions will be all used up by that time . I will continue to check the Nosler sight several times a week for the 180 Grn Partition, in 30 Cal. . The load development process will begin in Sept , but it may take several years to actually draw a Pa, or Ohio, or Kentucky Elk tag. To those of you were Lucky and id draw one, Congratulations!!!!! Thanks again all, Lenny

Don't waste your time, effort and money developing a load for a bullet that you may not find when needed. There are MANY great bullets out there for elk hunting with a 30cal magum. I'd look for another appropriate bullet and buy a few hundred.

With regard to the funky tips - tips rarely make much of a difference in bullet impact IME. I shot Nosler second Accubonds that had the tips fall out or were broken off. Interestingly enough, they shot right into the group with factory first bullets at 200yds.

FWIW - I'd never consider using 2nds for a once-in-a-lifetime hunt. Big game hunts in the US normally cost big bucks. Why try to save a few dollars on questionable bullets. I know other guys may do it but it just something I wouldn't do.

Best of luck on your hunt.

Firstly, Partitions are one of the finest bullets ever made for hunting at reasonable distances. In many barrels that were difficult to get acceptable accuracy from, the Partitions solved the problem because the open base upsets to seal the pressure behind it. Their terminal performance on game has been legendary for many decades. I find 15 to 20 thou off the lands worked the best for me if magazine length allowed. My other go to TSX an TTSX like 30 to 50 thou off.

Secondly, I would never meplat trim any open tip lead bullet. I have had Partitions flatten the tip from recoil in the magazines of my 338's and 375's.

Lastly, I only trim meplat and re-point match bullets. I shoot between 2000 and 2500 rounds per year in F Class and have tested many options and variations on both Lapua Scenar and Berger Hybrids. In custom built F class rifles that are 1/3 minute guns at distance over many barrels, I have found that these match bullets as they come, you cannot tell the difference out to 600 metres (660 yards for my US brothers). At 700, 800, and 900 metres (add 10% for yard equivalent) i found a slight improvement on scoring. And we are just talking an inch or 2 at 990 yards.

So if it was me, i would shoot as is. Just an opinion from an F Class Match Director.

Great information and thanks to one and all. As I begin the load development process, with what I think is good choice of bullet for Elk, these less than perfect Blem's will soon be burned up at the range. The seller on Gun Broker, has more, but I will pass on buying a second package. !!!Since we started this thread, I have learned much from you guys, and I have also learned that there is an option for 'Pointing " bullets. It's not a Meplat tool, but something else. As I love to keep learning, I will research the Bullet Pointer. I'm sure that the pack of 50 Mystery Grey Powder Coated Nosler partitions will be all used up by that time . I will continue to check the Nosler sight several times a week for the 180 Grn Partition, in 30 Cal. . The load development process will begin in Sept , but it may take several years to actually draw a Pa, or Ohio, or Kentucky Elk tag. To those of you were Lucky and id draw one, Congratulations!!!!! Thanks again all, Lenny
Bullet tipping is after the meplat trimming process.

Again, you are overcomplicating your situation unnecessarily as it is primarily meant for open-tipped bullets as you see in the videos.

If you insist, have at it.
Well, I don't insist. Just a curious thought. I can assume, then, that you haven't tried it, despite passing hasty judgement.
Exactly the type of thing that is the tarnish on an otherwise shining forum.

Recent Posts