150 Grn Nosler ABLR for whitetails

Lenny Foffa

Hi ,I have been shooting Nosler 130 Grn Ballistic tip out of my Weatherby Ultralight in .270 Win for many years. Love the incredible explosive effect it has on Whitetails . The longest shot I have taken with that rifle bullet is only about 120 yards. I loaded the Nosler 150 Grn Accubond Long Range bullets ( ABLR ) , in my Weatherby Mark V, in 270 Weatherby Mag, for a two day session at the Bang Steel shooting school. Rifle has a 26 inch # 2 Weatherby barrel, with a 10 twist. Purchased new in 1979 . The load was 66.7 Grns of H 4831 SC , with approached 3000 fps at the schools range which is 2880 ft in Elevation. Leupold 8.5X to 25X Windplex Scope. Hitting steel at 760 and 820 and 1000 and even 1200 yards was accomplished with no issues . Thanks to their excellent instruction, and a nice rifle/ scope/ handload. So now I will use this exact set up for Whitetails , in the beanfields , in North Carolina in November. My question is the performance of the Nosler ABLR bullets on Whitetail between 400 and 500 yards. The velocity at 400 yards will be about 2272 fps and at 500 yards about 2127 fps. A 500 yard shot is very possible. Is that a suitable HUNTING bullet for deer, or is it too tough??? Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Hi ,I have been shooting Nosler 130 Grn Ballistic tip out of my Weatherby Ultralight in .270 Win for many years. Love the incredible explosive effect it has on Whitetails . The longest shot I have taken with that rifle bullet is only about 120 yards. I loaded the Nosler 150 Grn Accubond Long Range bullets ( ABLR ) , in my Weatherby Mark V, in 270 Weatherby Mag, for a two day session at the Bang Steel shooting school. Rifle has a 26 inch # 2 Weatherby barrel, with a 10 twist. Purchased new in 1979 . The load was 66.7 Grns of H 4831 SC , with approached 3000 fps at the schools range which is 2880 ft in Elevation. Leupold 8.5X to 25X Windplex Scope. Hitting steel at 760 and 820 and 1000 and even 1200 yards was accomplished with no issues . Thanks to their excellent instruction, and a nice rifle/ scope/ handload. So now I will use this exact set up for Whitetails , in the beanfields , in North Carolina in November. My question is the performance of the Nosler ABLR bullets on Whitetail between 400 and 500 yards. The velocity at 400 yards will be about 2272 fps and at 500 yards about 2127 fps. A 500 yard shot is very possible. Is that a suitable HUNTING bullet for deer, or is it too tough??? Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
I would not be too concerned with the "toughness". With those distances mentioned ,deer size game and magnum caliber it should blow those NC deer off their feet with a good exit wound.

They will work fine. They are softer than the regular Accubond bullets but still are a bonded construction.

My wife shoots the 129 ABLR in her 6.5x47 Lapua. MV is 2922fps. They flat hammer whitetail and Axis.

I load the 150 gr NABLR for my dads 270 Win and they work awesome. Personally watched him take pronghorn as well as a handful each of mulies and whitetails with them. From 120-380 yards. Don't remember him ever taking a second shot. Always a complete pass through. The mulie he shot from 120 yards this past fall ran about 15 yards. That's the longest game recovery he's had with these bullets. I too shoot them with in 7mm with equal results. Find a load that'll shoot well for you and don't look back.

They will work great. Front of that bullet is pretty soft and will expand and fragment well at that distance. The back half or third will hold together and likely exit. Save up for the taxidermy.

Thank You Guys, Never an exit hole with the 130 grn. Ballistic tips in my 270 Win loads, at about 3050 fps , so this will be a new experience to see a pass through. Glad to hear so many 'Likes " about this 150 Grn bullet on game. Very comforting !!!

The .277 ABLR will work fine. But its high BC and "toughness" aren't really needed for whitetail out to 500 or so. An NBT, SGK or similar would be just fine. It sounds as though you've got a good load that your rifle likes. I wouldn't change anything. Enjoy the hunt.

I shoot the 150 ablr in my 270 Weatherby Ruger No 1 and had had excellent results beyond 300 yds. Nosler claims the bullet will preform to 1300 fps so the ranges you mentioned and much further will not be a problem. My handload with the 150!ablr and 560 clocks 3170 fps and groups sub moa.

HI Don, and Mr Old Elk Hunter. Thanks for that info. I have used 66.7 Grns of H 4831SC up until now, and will be trying 67 .0 Grns at the range ,in the spring. Depending on pressure signs I may even try 67.3 grns . That should get me about 3000 fps, or so. Since I am at 75 feet elevation in N J , and the shooting school is at 2885 ft, in Virginia, they do the ballistic math for me based on 3000 fps. As you can see from a target photo, I am not yet at 1MOA. I will keep shooting till I get it right. By the way, I just ordered three boxes of 150 Grn Nosler ABLR in 270 on Wed. I ordered directly from Nosler. Free shipping on orders over $99.00

Attachments

• IMG_2614100 Yd target  150 Grn ABLR.jpg
    IMG_2614100 Yd target 150 Grn ABLR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 62