Meplat trimming pf Nosler 180 Grn Partitions

Hi Guys, I really need some direction. I am about to make an Elk Load for my 300 Weatherby Mag. A 1970s Rifle, 26-inch, 10 Twist , Mag na ported. I purchased some Nosler 180 Grn. partitions Blems. I have never loaded partitions in any of my other rifles before, and I have noticed that very tip of each bullet has a tiny rounded protrusion of lead, or something. I think I need to purchase Meplat trimmer to correct this tiny round protrusion?? If that is correct , can anyone suggest the trimmer I should purchase. ??? Thanks for any help Guys, lenny
nosler makes a version of the 180gr in 30cal called a protected point. There is very little lead exposed on those. The tip is flat.

Last edited:
I can't remember if there was proof of it, but supposedly, the lead noses are worn down by friction with the air after they were fired and ballistic coefficients were made worse because of it. The problem is compounded as velocity is increased. If that is true, minor imperfections are probably ironed out or worn off soon after the bullet is fired. Also the synthetic tips were developed to combat this and tip damage caused by recoil battering in magazines. I read an article in a magazine years ago where they mutilated bullet tips in various ways before firing. Their experiments proved the they had little or no effect on bullet performance. They also proved that imperfections on the base of the bullets did influence bullet performance. I would hunt with these bullets as long as they grouped well while sighting in.
IMO if you are using a Partition bullet for long range shooting you are doing it wrong.

Hi Guys, I found out something about these ugly looking bullets. Now Shooters Pro Shop has them for sale BUT they are not just Blem's but they are a LOWER level of Blems they are a Grade C . Blems!! I have also learned about a Pointing tool , which I may purchase just to see if I can make a point at the bullet tip , as opposed to this round blob on the tip. I also see FENIX sent me a video about the use of a pointing die.. So the summary for me is NEVER purchase Grade C Blems in any caliber again, and Keep checking the Nosler Sight each day for Factory perfect bullets to become available. Thank you all for all you incredible insight and help!!
Lenny I have purchased some of the accubond grade c blems. They shoot to the same poa as the new in the box retail ones.
Personally I think you are overthinking this.

Last edited:
Hi Guys, I really need some direction. I am about to make an Elk Load for my 300 Weatherby Mag. A 1970s Rifle, 26-inch, 10 Twist , Mag na ported. I purchased some Nosler 180 Grn. partitions Blems. I have never loaded partitions in any of my other rifles before, and I have noticed that very tip of each bullet has a tiny rounded protrusion of lead, or something. I think I need to purchase Meplat trimmer to correct this tiny round protrusion?? If that is correct , can anyone suggest the trimmer I should purchase. ??? Thanks for any help Guys, lenny
They should shoot just fine. I bought a couple hundred of those in .270. Their problem was that they had a cannelure and it was not in the same spot on each bullet. My reloads looked ugly but they shot 1/2MOA and gave me many one-shot kills on whitetails.