Meanwhile on RS they're killin bear, deer, elk , and moose with .223 and 77gr TMK.

Just for comparison for those following this thread and may be curious why some of us hunt deer or hogs with 22 cals, here are just three varied 224 hunting bullets compared with a .243" 85gr Speer (far right) that works for deer especially in the old 1/12 twists.

L - R: 75gr Berger, 75gr AMAX, 80gr ELD and the 85gr Speer .243
Most people would agree the .243cal is a very capable deer bullet.

The other photo is a 22-250AI loaded with a 75AMAX compared to a standard 22-250 with same. The AI is pushing the 75gr at a rather mild 3,400fps in a 1/8" twist with the standard pushing the same bullet at 3,300fps in a 1/9 twist barrel.
What is oal of the 22-250AI?

I guess that we'll have to agree to disagree!

I can see the/some merit with that bullet on smaller big game, with that nice shot in the neck, or "through the slats"……but I'm not blessed with game cooperation, offering perfect/near perfect shot angles!

I'll just continue with a cartridge/bullet that is effective at ranges well beyond that in which I'll shoot game and the bullet can be placed at any angle and end to end in game up to and through (pun intended) moose large bear!

Good Luck with the use of your chosen bullet…….and may your aim be true! memtb

Just for comparison for those following this thread and may be curious why some of us hunt deer or hogs with 22 cals, here are just three varied 224 hunting bullets compared with a .243" 85gr Speer (far right) that works for deer especially in the old 1/12 twists.

L - R: 75gr Berger, 75gr AMAX, 80gr ELD and the 85gr Speer .243
Most people would agree the .243cal is a very capable deer bullet.

The other photo is a 22-250AI loaded with a 75AMAX compared to a standard 22-250 with same. The AI is pushing the 75gr at a rather mild 3,400fps in a 1/8" twist with the standard pushing the same bullet at 3,300fps in a 1/9 twist barrel.
Reminds me of Ken Water's fast twist 22-250 idea. Now it here! And then the .224 TTH knocking down bucks twenty years ago. But really the idea goes back to 1960's.

Back around the late '60s and '70s the Alaska Inuit hunters, loved anything in a .223 Rem caliber later 5.56x45mm for just about everything including Polar... before that many hunters used the .222 Remington... At one point I remember a gunsmith who was shipping up 5.56x45mm NATO to a trading post, he said it was like gold up there, and the Inuit loved the M193 Ball because of its killing power... on everything but Whale. 😲 😂 From what I've read and understand, back in that time frame most of the hunters were using bolt action rifles in .223 Rem, yeah I know... and shooting 5.56x45mmm NATO in them, later came the AR15s. just thoughts from the day... Cheers... Oh! don't get me wrong I'm not calling the 5.56x45mm a Bear, Moose, or Elk rifle, but it will kill them, that's pretty much a fact. You might recall hunters using the .22 Hi-Power in Savage Mod 99s in India for Tigers. You'd be looking at a 70gr bullet at around 2800 fps, "Not me I wouldn't" ... but someone did.
I should have added, that the Inuit hunter on the ice hunt with their sled dogs, which keeps old White Death occupied so they can make that clean headshot on the Bear... just trying to put the comment in perspective. :cool:
About the author of that piece.
Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2018/03/ar...ainst-charging-polar-bear-2008/#ixzz8KPgKNhj6
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook
About Dean Weingarten:
Dean Weingarten

Dean Weingarten has been a peace officer, a military officer, was on the University of Wisconsin Pistol Team for four years, and was first certified to teach firearms safety in 1973. He taught the Arizona concealed carry course for fifteen years until the goal of constitutional carry was attained. He has degrees in meteorology and mining engineering, and recently retired from the Department of Defense after a 30 year career in Army Research, Development, Testing, and Evaluation.

Trauma is trauma. When cleaning all you have to do is show the vital organs or arterial damage. This isn't hard to figure out. Bleeding caused by bullet damage, and arrow, a knife is recorded pretty easily by a photo. Not sure why this is so difficult to understand.
Bullets create trauma by crushing and tearing tissue. Broadheads slice cleanly. Surely you aren't expecting wounds tracts to look even remotely the same?

Reminds me of Ken Water's fast twist 22-250 idea. Now it here! And then the .224 TTH knocking down bucks twenty years ago. But really the idea goes back to 1960's.
Yes. My standard 22-250 with a 1/9 twist 26" goes back to the 90's, and I used the old Speer 70gr bullets along with some 69gr match and my hand swaged partitions before the more current VLD heavies and Barnes..

By the way, on the ranch, we exclusively shoot cattle with .22 LR, more specifically Federal 36 grain, target/practice ammo.
We don't use anything large, fancy, or heavy bullets.
The only time we are allowed to use anything else on the cattle is if we were out and saw a cow or bull in distress, and don't have a .22 with us. 0 of them shot with a .22 even take a single step, they just fall down.
The more kills I see with a .2?? the more I wonder why it isn't the gold standard to compare the rest to, unless hunting past 500 yards, or hunting elephants and rhinos.
Bears shot with a .22, 30-30, .243, 6mm, just go down hard, with a maximum travel distance of less than 20' when I've been watching. Harold, who works here, shot a bear last week, using his 243. Estimates 60 yards, 1 shot to the head, and it never took a step.
He exclusively shoots 243, owns nothing else, but has two lever 243 rifles, one with Leupold scope, the other metal sites.
30-30 and 243 are by far the most popular rifles of my coworkers.

Yes. My standard 22-250 with a 1/9 twist 26" goes back to the 90's, and I used the old Speer 70gr bullets along with some 69gr match and my hand swaged partitions before the more current VLD heavies and Barnes..
I am currently working up loads for my 7 twist 22-250AI with 90 grain A Tips. If they turn out favorably I'll have a reamer made and throated properly for them.

I'm also working up a load for these seemingly magical 77TMK bullets as well. They should be cooking along at about 3400fps.

By the way, on the ranch, we exclusively shoot cattle with .22 LR, more specifically Federal 36 grain, target/practice ammo.
We don't use anything large, fancy, or heavy bullets.
The only time we are allowed to use anything else on the cattle is if we were out and saw a cow or bull in distress, and don't have a .22 with us. 0 of them shot with a .22 even take a single step, they just fall down.
The more kills I see with a .2?? the more I wonder why it isn't the gold standard to compare the rest to, unless hunting past 500 yards, or hunting elephants and rhinos.
Bears shot with a .22, 30-30, .243, 6mm, just go down hard, with a maximum travel distance of less than 20' when I've been watching. Harold, who works here, shot a bear last week, using his 243. Estimates 60 yards, 1 shot to the head, and it never took a step.
He exclusively shoots 243, owns nothing else, but has two lever 243 rifles, one with Leupold scope, the other metal sites.
30-30 and 243 are by far the most popular rifles of my coworkers.
Head shots usually work pretty well.

I am currently working up loads for my 7 twist 22-250AI with 90 grain A Tips. If they turn out favorably I'll have a reamer made and throated properly for them.

I'm also working up a load for these seemingly magical 77TMK bullets as well. They should be cooking along at about 3400fps.
I would be interested to hear about the 90 Atips performance. I've loaded the 88 ELD's in my 22-250AI with 1/8 twist, but I haven't killed game yet with anything heavier than 80's.

Last edited: