They're back at it on RS. .223/5.56 using the 69 gr TMK on game!

Having cut many apart already, I only anticipate the difference being the slightly longer ogive of the 77gr and the obvious added mass.

The 77gr, as such, would offer a better balance of expansion vs penetration, particularly with larger game and higher impact velocities. In many scenarios though, you likely wouldn't see a real discernible difference.

I've seen several big whitetail dropped on the spot with the 77gr TMK. I've done it myself a time or two as well, when they first came out.

I'm confident in them working, but I do tend to prefer something a bit bigger, if only to satisfy that nagging feeling I should lol.

I actually went with a necked up 223 to 25cal in an AR for my kids to use. Still low recoil and easy to shoot, but more confidence in a wider bullet to make up for shot placement errors.

I've seen several big whitetail dropped on the spot with the 77gr TMK. I've done it myself a time or two as well, when they first came out.

I'm confident in them working, but I do tend to prefer something a bit bigger, if only to satisfy that nagging feeling I should lol.

I actually went with a necked up 223 to 25cal in an AR for my kids to use. Still low recoil and easy to shoot, but more confidence in a wider bullet to make up for shot placement errors.
That's something that should be studied. How much does bullet diameter make up for placement errors? How much does velocity, energy?

My guess on the width part is it'll make up for the error roughly as much as the larger diameter projectile creates a larger permanent wound cavity, which is to say for the most part 1.5-3x bullet diameter, so.. an inch at most.

That's something that should be studied. How much does bullet diameter make up for placement errors? How much does velocity, energy?

My guess on the width part is it'll make up for the error roughly as much as the larger diameter projectile creates a larger permanent wound cavity, which is to say for the most part 1.5-3x bullet diameter, so.. an inch at most.
It'll depend on the bullet's construction and how it performs terminally as well. It's not just a matter of caliber size, impact velocity, and energy, although those things do affect the outcome as well.

I actually do study this stuff lol

Last edited:

Diameter plays a part. but in this case construction plays an important role. I'd say take a look at the terminal performance and compare them to larger bores with bonded or otherwise heavier construction. I'm struggling to see much difference.