Using Match Kings on Game

nowler

hi folks

i am curious to hear about other people's experiences using Sierra Match King bullets on deer and similar.

i know that they don't reccommed their use on animals because the jackets aren't bonded etc.etc. but i am curious to hear of other people's results with them....

many thanks

derek

Now you did it! There was the great MatchKing thread of Dec 2001 on Accuratereloading... It'll have enough info to keep you busy reading until late Fall.
smile.gif

http://www.accuratereloading.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=253179&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

I use Matchkings, they work for me but have some simple requirements IMHO.

1st the hunter must be able to hit a vital spot on the critter.

2nd it's best to talk to someone that's actually used them on game animals when seeking info on their acceptability (you're doing this now).

3rd we ALL know Sierra does not actually recommend them for use on game animals.

4th for me they perform about the same as a Gameking, cores slip like a Gameking, the bullet mushrooms like a Gameking.

5th I've killed many hundreds of animals (game animals) with MatchKings. I loose no more and no less than when using any other accurate bullet.

Take care.

I am going to strongly urge going to the accuratereloading link above and spend the time in there. As stated, listen to the guys with first hand experience.

This topic has come up many times. Your best bet is to load some SMK's up and take a few on your next hunt. Take the first shot with the SMK and have a "normal" hunting bullet ready for the next shot. Bet you won't take the second shot!

Derek , just took two exotics Friday, Corsican Ram and a Spanish Goat. Shooting a 300WSM with 190SMK's. They didn't take a step after the gun went off. Exit hole on the Ram was about 4 inch's. See SMK's won't kill
grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.