Match and Game King diff.

Martin@Hin

Gents, I am new to this board and I must say I am amazed by the accuratecy of you and your rifle's.
I have a 338/378 Accumark and it don't seem to like the Sierra GK bullets 2 1/2" at best @200y.
It seems most LR shooters use the MK, the question is :how much diff is there between the two?
Also my gun seems to do better with flat based bullets ( nosler, hornady ,grand slam)would this be because of the long Weatherby free bore?
Regards Martin

GK vs MK? some say not much difference in their guns, others say there is. just like loads, every stick is a little different. if you want to know which is more accurate, look at what the guys here shoot.

as far as flat base shooting better, what range are you shooting at? its not surprising that a flat base shoots better than boattail at 300 and under, but once you start getting out there, the boattail retains energy and accuracy. thats why its best to test loads not only at 100, but further as well to give the boattail time to stabilize.

-brian

Brian: thanks for the repl.
I do most of my shooting at 200Y the gunclub is constructing a 500Y but it not done jet.
I allways liked to shoot at 200 but the range here is just a simple one and I find the good shooting day's are far and few there is away's wind or mirrage.
I bought this gun (accumark) because for a few years now there is a 7point Elk that likes to graze in a meadow with no way of getting closer than say 500Y.
If I look at Steve's reloading pages and the gun mag. the Accumark would be the gun so i bought it ( I can,t afford the custom rigs you guy's have) well so far the gun does 2" + at 200Y and compared to what i read here that is not enough.
The thing is I am confused I have burned pounds of powder hundereds of bullets rebedded the rifle tryed 2 diff scopes and today I still don't know if it's me, the range conditions or the loads I feed the gun.
I clean the barrel @ 20 rounds with Wipe out and lately got up at 6 am to beat the wind.
So realy i looking for some pointers?

Regards Martin

2" at 100 yards is 1 MOA, which is fairly good for a factory gun, not great mind you, but fairly good.

You've probably already done this, but check the trigger and adjust it down to around 2 - 2 1/2 pounds. Even less if it's just a target rifle. This can throw you off unless you've got nerves of steel waiting for the recoil to hit you.

As for the 1 MOA not being enough, HA! At 500 yards that's a 5" diameter circle that you know you can place the bullet into. I'd say that guy's a goner if you do your part and wait for a good shot. I'm setting up a .338 RUM to do the same sort of thing. 1 MOA is all I'm asking for from the gun.

Mark in Utah

Mark,maybe you are right and I am to demanding.
The thing is you hear about 1/4 and 1/2" @100y so 1" @200y well all the loads I have tryed never got close ,the 2 1/4"@200 is with a Hornady flat base (hardly a long range hunting bullet) the GK does that every now and than.
The trigger is set Ok and I am used to big recoil also the gun has a brake.
You know I figured that forking out $2000.Can for this gun would put me in the
1/2 min class maybe it was better spend on a custom gun and the problem than is to find a smith capable of that work.

Regards Martin

Brian:ya the gun is bedded,justcame back from the range the silly Hornady,s did 1 1/2"at 200y .
I tryed the 250 GK and the 200 Nosler BT nothing to write home about.
Have some Hawks 275 and 300 gr the 275"s do 5" did 't try the 300's jet,these are RN bullets.
I did find a guy who sells the 300MK (Sierra) but only in the 500 box.
May have to bite the bullet since he has no boxes of 50.
Would it not be nice if they sell you a rifle with a piece of paper with the optimum on it?

Regards Martin

martin,
1moa isnt bad, and out to 500yd you should be alright for an elk, assuming you practice and can put the first shot of the day fairly close to where you want it. as far as 1/4-1/2 moa, yes, the custom rigs here do that. i shoot a factory gun myself around 1/2-1moa out to 800, but its been bedded and i worked on the trigger. not too familiar with the accumarks, but i hear they are getting good results. is it bedded? if you're serious about getting groups down, i suggest getting that done, as well as lightening the trigger as mentioned before. you said you wanted 500yds, so i also suggest dropping the flat base and going with a boattail. it should give you better accuracy at that range. nosler also has their new accubonds, with one for the 338 in 225gr. havent worked with them alot, but the 200's shot pretty well in my stick. penetration wasnt as good as the GK, but i was shooting 1" steel and have no doubts that either will do nice on elk. if nothing else, give the 300gr SMK's a whirl. i know they'll do the job, both on paper and on game.

-brian

[ 08-08-2003: Message edited by: Mountain Man ]

RuffHewn: he" just repl. to your post on the acc. form
smile.gif

No I just bought the darn things ($70. Can.) to replace the out of production 270 Speer that gave me 3/4" @200y in my 340.
Bought some 300 Hawks as well ,figured with the long bearing surface they may be a accurate bullet.

Regards Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.