Elk, Caribou, Moose, and Bear Rifle

Rem 700 in 7mm STW shooting Berger 180 Hybrids. It'll kill anything on the planet very effectively.

Kill effectively and Kill are two different things... coming from a guy that lives in Grizz country.:D
If Grizzly bear is on the menu its 8 Rem mag or bigger for me. I like my .338 RUM but 8 Rem mag, .340 WbyMag, .338 RUM, .338 NM, .338 LM, .338-.378 Wby mag, .378 Wby mag,.375 Ruger or the .375 H+H.
The .284's and .308's get it done, just not with the authority that the bigger stuff does. If your paying to hunt a big bear, I would buy a big gun too.
Nothing beats bullet placement, but a little displacement certainly helps.

I think I will end up with the 338WM.

It will probably come down to either a Remington 700 or Winchester M70? Any clear cut winner over these two models?

I would go with the M70 with controlled feed action. You don't want a jammed rifle with that big ole brown smiling at you.

Also, These sound like hunts of a lifetime you are planning. I would not want to try all of this with a short barreled 338. I would consider a muley/elk/black bear gun and another dedicated rifle for the moose and brown bear. The smaller rifle could be used a lot at the range perfecting skills and be less painful and cheaper to shoot. Just thinking here...

.338 magnums dispatch the large tough animals with more authority than the .284 and .308s, in my experiences. Meaning the time from bullet impact to disabled or dead animal is often shortened with the larger caliber bullets of equivalent sectional density. The .338 Win Mag would be a great choice for brown/grizzly bear and moose, particularly for the distances you intend to shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.