McMillan Stock: will it ever get here?

alexkeyser

I ordered a mac A-5 back in feb. and I'm now out 20+ weeks with my smith telling me to call back in another month. originally I was told it would be 14-16 weeks. does it usually take this long. by the time I get the new rifle its going to be to late to start playing with loads and get a set of charts made up for my Wyo. antelope hunt! guess in the mean time I'll work on some new loads for the good 'ol 30-378. I just got some berger 210 vld's loaded up. man they just look fast and deadly!!!

Macmillian could care less whether you go antelope hunting or not. One less customer means nothing to them.

Email Joel Russo. He is the guy who saved my antelope hunt last year when another big name stock company did not care if I went hunting or not.

Yep , give Joel a call and see what hes got , he may have somthing ready in his shop. He is a hell of a guy to deal with to.

McMillan Stock

Alex, I ordered my stock in March. I called McMillan two weeks ago and they said I would have my stock by the end of July. I've ordered stocks from McMillan before, and they will take at least 20 to 25 weeks for delivery. McMillan always claims they will deliver your stock in 14 to 16 weeks, however, they never do. McMillan stocks are worth the wait, however, I think they need to let the consumer know they take more like 20 to 25 weeks for delivery.

I would call Joel too, if you need your stock soon.

Wildcat

Last edited:
The problem is that you ordered an A-5 stock which is widely used by our own armed forces and many other countries as well. When McMillan gets a big military order, all civilian orders are put on the back burner.

Frustrating but to be honest, the way it should be in my opinion. The military needs these rifles much more then we do right now. That said, it is frustrating. Currently I have around 15 A-5s on order. Those that I ordered at the first of the year are just now starting to arrive.

Other stocks seem to be shipped much sooner and closer to the advertised shipping times but the models used by the military can take a long time.

Be patient it will show up. In the mean time you may want to get something else ready for that pronghorn hunt just in case. Better to be prepared then not!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks for the kind words guys...

If you're in dire straits, I can, and have put stocks out the door the next day.

I shipped a few A-5L stocks the day after I took the order. I took the chance on being paid, but I take a guy's word. Have'nt been burned yet, and that says alot for the members of the board.

thanks alot for the reasurance guys! I also appreciate the referal to joel (and the reply, joel) I guess I'll just wait it out. I totally agree our armed forces should take precidance over a civilian in almost any aspect. But it would have been nice to know it would be 25 or even 30 weeks from the get go. I would have still got the stock from them. It's going to be 50% tan 25% black and 25% white, in their marble finish. I hope it comes out nice as no one has been able to give me a good idea about what that combo looks like.

fifty I understand your thoughts. However do you personally think it's worth the crazy money and the time wait for a mcmillan. I mean come on there's guy's out there making hits at 2500 w/ hs take offs(Shawn Carlock comes to mind). I don't deny the mcmillian is beutiful but there's no way I'm waiting 25 weeks for a piece of fiberglass(they get boats out faster than that).

joel russo said 4 to 6 weeks i got mine in 5 weeks great stock great guy to do buissness with now

now all i need to do is put the action in it i got the A5 laminate .

DB

Linksmechanic,

There are things that McMillan will offer that no one else out there currently is offering, if these options are what a person wants there is a price to pay. If you want the most popular tactical style stock used right now, the A-5, again you will pay in waiting.

There are other options if you want a similiar stock as mentioned, Joels stocks are great to work with. Just bedded one up for a customer in 338 Allen Magnum. Will be an amazing rifle and his service is top notch all the way.

Manner stocks are also great options as are HS in certain applications.

Your referral to Shawn probably has as much to do with the guy that built the rifle and is shooting the rifle as opposed to what stock is on the rifle. I have shot with Shawn and shot his rifles, he is also a world class smith.

As to if the stock makes that much difference, again, I have built rifles using factory Laminates wood stocks. Two specific rifles come to mind, they were my personal 270 Allen Magnum based on a Savage M111 receiver with factory sporter stock and the other was my 7mm Allen Magnum based on a Rem 700 with a factory Laminate Sendero stock.

Both rifles were extremely accurate, both rifles took big game well over 700 yards and both rifles killed rock chucks with one shot kills over 1100 yards. Both rifles were also tested at over 2000 yards for accuracy and both held well under moa even at that extreme range. And this was with $100 stocks.

Again, it is my opinion that if the bedding is stress free and the rest of the rifle is build properly it WILL be a shooter, even at extreme range.

Still, if you want a McMillan A-5, you will have to order it from McMillan and get it when you get it. I guess thats all there is to it. If your happy with another quality stock, by all means order from a different company.

It is becoming well known that the A-5 takes a long time to get in. I tell this to every one of my customers that order custom rifles from me. Funny thing, I order A-5s at a rate of 5 to 1 of all other stocks combined and that is after I tell my customers about the long wait. Must be something to them as the orders just keep coming in.

Kirby Allen(50)

Fivty: Have you ever tried the adj. tactical stocks by b&c? Just curious about some feedback on them. My buddy has one on a .308. built like a tank great fitment, full alum. bed block, adj. cheek piece and length. Way heavy though.

Have you looked at an "MPI" stock. they offer an "A-5" style stock with about a 3 week turnaround. they offer more paint options then Mcmillan and a better price. I cant say they are a superior product but seem to be pretty darn good.

mpistocks.com

Fivty: Have you ever tried the adj. tactical stocks by b&c? Just curious about some feedback on them. My buddy has one on a .308. built like a tank great fitment, full alum. bed block, adj. cheek piece and length. Way heavy though.

i have the B&C var tac with the adjustable cheek and butt i got it from LSB it was about 7 weeks to get it very nice stock fit and finish to me was top notch i dropped my VLS in 243 in it ill get around to bedding it one of these day's i have 3 in front of it it was $419

DB

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts