McMillan stock weights?

Murphy's Law

Guys

Other than the Remington Hunters Edge Ultralight stock (21-23 oz) I don't seem to be able to find reference to any weights for the other stocks on McMillans web site. The stocks I'm interested in are the Remington Classic and the Remington Sporter. Just wondering if anybody here would know?

Also, would the "Edge" stock take a #4 fluted barrel without modification or would one have to go for the Sporter or Classic?

Cheers.

M's L

Most Of The Classic and The Sporters Run Around 30-36 Oz Without Edge Fill. #4 Will Be Pushing it In A Edge. I've Got A #4 Lija in One. It's Very Close To The Remington Mag Sporter Conture..

I build quite a few guns on the hunter edge stock. A #4 (as mentioned) is right on the ragged edge of what a guy can get away with. The showline gets razor thin if using a Std/Long action.

If it's a short then you can pull it off. If going with a long best to back off to a #3.

Hope this helped.

OK thanks guys.

It sounds like I either need to go down to a #3 contour barrel or change to a Classic or Sporter stock. Reading between the lines am I correct in thinking these can be ordered with the Edge fill? If so what will the 30 - 36 oz's drop to roughly?

Also, on the barrel, my plan is to build an 8.5 lb mountain hunting rifle capable of accurate 600 yd shots on game up to Elk size. I will go as long as 26" but don't want to go any longer. Cal will be either 7mm RM or 300 WM. Will a #4 (fluted) be suitable?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

Cheers.

M's L

Murphy
Chad aka Nesikachad built my 7 mm Rem mag rifle using a McMillan Remington Hunter with edge technology, Borden Timberline magnum action, Bartlein #4 barrel fluted and finished @ 26", PT&G bottom metal, and a Jewel trigger. Finished weight with a Zeiss 4.5X14X44 scope with Seekins rail and rings, sling and loaded ready to go is 8.4 pounds. Best group so far is .344". If your going to have a custom rifle built I would suggest you talk with Chad. Not only do his rifle shoot great but they are finished to perfection. He does ALL of the stock work so there are no gaps or irregular lines around any of the metal or barrel. I guarantee you will not be disappointed.
Wes
Princess-1.jpg

firstgroup-5969.jpg

group1.jpg

Last edited:
A mcm classic in standard fill comes in at 30 oz's give or take a Classic with edge technology is about 24-25 oz's,and a classic looks better with a #3 or #4 contour,in my opinion..hope this helps!

Bloody Hell guys- you're killing me. Both those rifles are sooooo close to what I want to end up with.

WesB - PM sent.

ackleyfan - who put your 300 together?

Cheers guys.

M's L

Murph,

Received your email. Thank you! I responded. Sent some photos and fear it may reject the file because of the size (each photo is about 3 mb)

If it kicks it back I'll trim it down and resend.

Chad

Borden Alpine
7MM-08
5.5# Hart fluted at 24"
Holland Sporter with Edge technolgy
Jewell trigger
Borden bottom metal
Finish weight for rifle only 7.6 lbs.

It did thanks.

My parents did a "sneak attack" by showing up yesterday. I'm running a bit behind as a result. Sorry bud.

Will get on this again asap.

C

OK thanks Chad.

I hope the "sneak attack" won't be too painfull for you. :)

I'll cancel that order on the action I mentioned in my email and we can go from there - the more I research the 7WSM the better it sounds!!

Cheers and Happy New Year

Murph

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.