Mcmillan A5 & Brux #5 Contour

Hornhunter32

I'm going to have a 300 Norma Imp. built on a Mark V action with a Brux #5 that will finish at 26 inches. This is going to be my moutain gun and I don't want it to get too heavy.

The problem is I can't find a Mfg that will build me a stock for this action. I want a good stock with a adjustable comb. So far my only options are the A5 with the saddle cheek piece or the Bell & Carlson Meadalist, which I don't like. Lone Wolf (Proof Research) will in the future but they aren't currently excepting orders because they are in the process of moving to their new facility.

So I'm wondering if I have any other options and if the #5 contour is too small for the A5?

Thanks,
Todd

Put a #5 contour in a Mc A-5 and you'll have more stock than barrel,,,,,, and it won't be "light". Sell the Mk V and buy something that has a larger selection of aftermarket stocks/components.

I'm going to have a 300 Norma Imp. built on a Mark V action with a Brux #5 that will finish at 26 inches. This is going to be my moutain gun and I don't want it to get too heavy.

The problem is I can't find a Mfg that will build me a stock for this action. I want a good stock with a adjustable comb. So far my only options are the A5 with the saddle cheek piece or the Bell & Carlson Meadalist, which I don't like. Lone Wolf (Proof Research) will in the future but they aren't currently excepting orders because they are in the process of moving to their new facility.

So I'm wondering if I have any other options and if the #5 contour is too small for the A5?

Thanks,
Todd

There should be some of the Accumark stocks out there that have been replaced with custom
stocks (These are normally H S Precision stocks) and you can look at the Weatherby's to see
if you like the looks and weight).

The Accumark stock is a good stock with proper bedding.

J E CUSTOM

I would give Chad Dixon a call, LongRifles, Inc. he get his stocks filled and then CNC's the exact dimensions of your action and barrel into it. Might be your best bet to get exactly what you want.

I was just talking to Chad this morning actually (he's only about 90mins from here) & a buddy of mine. I am very confident he can help you out, you can either get a non-inletted stock from the manufacturer or a stock that has already been inletted (even for a different action) as long as it is dimensionally possible, he should have no problem.

He writes a 3D CAD program for YOUR barreled action & CNC inlets the stock to fit YOUR setup, pretty kick *** stuff...

Check it out:

Attachments

• 6-284 CNC Diagram.JPG
    6-284 CNC Diagram.JPG
    189.3 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC_0002.JPG
    DSC_0002.JPG
    182.7 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC_0003.JPG
    DSC_0003.JPG
    236.5 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC_0006.JPG
    DSC_0006.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC_0007.JPG
    DSC_0007.JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 92
Thanks for the advise guys!

I have heard that Chad does awesome work but he is probably out of my price range. Does anyone know what he charges to inlet a stock?

I have an Accumark stock but I would like something with a higher comb or a flat comb so I can use a cheek pad.

I have a rem long action that I may have to use. I was saving it for a 280 AI built.

Thanks,
Todd

Thanks for the advise guys!

I have heard that Chad does awesome work but he is probably out of my price range. Does anyone know what he charges to inlet a stock?

I have an Accumark stock but I would like something with a higher comb or a flat comb so I can use a cheek pad.

I have a rem long action that I may have to use. I was saving it for a 280 AI built.

Thanks,
Todd

I don't feel right sending out Chad's pricing, but all it would take is an e-mail or a phone to Chad call to get it straight from the "horses mouth". gun)

Am I hearing you guys right? A Brux #5 in a McMillan A5 is not a good combo? Too much stock for that contour? I was thinking of this exact combo for my build.

Am I hearing you guys right? A Brux #5 in a McMillan A5 is not a good combo? Too much stock for that contour? I was thinking of this exact combo for my build.

I know several guys who like this combo. It'll work fine. However, it's more than plenty of stock for the contour.

Bump the barrel to at least a 7, or drop the stock to say a Manners GAT. Much better matches. But, build it hou YOU like it.

It is ideal but they can't seen to figure out how to inlet one for a Mark V action. What a bunch of BS!
Well, that might be because Mc considers the A-5 (and A-3) to be a "tactical" style stock! I know of no one, participating in any tactical game, using a Weatherby Mk V action for the basis of their rifle. Any inletting can be programed. The question arises, if it's "out of place" why would you? The MK V is a "sporting" action, and makes a fine "sporter". As such, it needs to be in a "sporting" style stock. The "Sendero" contour barrel is about mininum size for any of the "A" series Mc Millian stocks, and in some, it looks to be too small. I don't blame McMillian for not wanting to put an A-5 on a Mk V. Their name would forever be connected to that rifle. I wouldn't want a rifle looking that "jacked-up" coming out of my shop! "Form follows function". Maybe a term used before your time, I don't know. It means it needs to look as good as it shoots. If you want to experiment and do R&D, fine, but you need to be able to do most all the work yourself. But, Grit's right, build it the way you want it, it's your rifle. So what if it's a '65 Volkswagen "Beetle" with a spoiler and mag wheels! What they've "figured out" is they won't do just anything for money!

Well, that might be because Mc considers the A-5 (and A-3) to be a "tactical" style stock! I know of no one, participating in any tactical game, using a Weatherby Mk V action for the basis of their rifle. Any inletting can be programed. The question arises, if it's "out of place" why would you? The MK V is a "sporting" action, and makes a fine "sporter". As such, it needs to be in a "sporting" style stock. The "Sendero" contour barrel is about mininum size for any of the "A" series Mc Millian stocks, and in some, it looks to be too small. I don't blame McMillian for not wanting to put an A-5 on a Mk V. Their name would forever be connected to that rifle. I wouldn't want a rifle looking that "jacked-up" coming out of my shop! "Form follows function". Maybe a term used before your time, I don't know. It means it needs to look as good as it shoots. If you want to experiment and do R&D, fine, but you need to be able to do most all the work yourself. But, Grit's right, build it the way you want it, it's your rifle. So what if it's a '65 Volkswagen "Beetle" with a spoiler and mag wheels! What they've "figured out" is they won't do just anything for money!

They do offer it in the A-5 for the Mark V but I completely agree with you, I wouldn't want an A-5 or any stock that doesn't look right, that's why I started this thread. My complaint is that they don't offer it in the stock that would make sense, the M40A-1 HTG.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.