McMillan A5 - Can I inlet for 1.47" Nesika L Action??

Archfile

Does anyone know if it is possible, practical or sensible to inlet a McMillan A5 for a 1.47" Neskia Model L ?

McMillan website suggests max action is 1.45", is 20 thou over that a deal breaker do you think? I'm hoping any weakness around the action area from being thin is mitigated by the fact the inlet would be an ADL style with no magazine cutout (single shot inlet)

If the 1.47" action can't go in that stock, what could I use that is no heavier than an A5? This action is intended to be chambered in 338 Edge.

Any thoughts much appreciated!

Could someone with a McMillan A5 measure these two (red and green) distances for me please? I'm really keen on the A5 for my build, but I want to know that it will work for my action before I order and start the waiting process.

Oh, and let me know what yours is inlet for (I assume 90% are inlet for 1.35" actions)

Thanks heaps!

dDiwt7c.jpg

Last edited:
Could someone with a McMillan A5 measure these two (red and green) distances for me please? I'm really keen on the A5 for my build, but I want to know that it will work for my action before I order and start the waiting process.

Thanks

dDiwt7c.jpg

Hi Archfile,
My A5 is 1.85" overall (red marks). It's inletted for a Stiller Tac 338 action that is 1.4" in diameter. That would leave about .225 per side. (Green marks).
It's about 11 years old. I've done some work to it, studs, inlet the adjustable cheek piece, etc. The core is a fairly soft material if you cut to deep. Other than that I think it should work fine.

Stormc: Thanks for that, I really appreciate it. Just to confirm yours is the standard A5 not the A5 Super (bigger one)? I think if the magnum/sniper fill is harder than the default then the 0.19" walls either side of my action should be OK.

Thanks again, you've made it possible for me to order a stock at long last!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts