May have almost made a huge error

bob4

I want to try Barnes STX triple shock 180G in my 300 wm. I looked in 2 books. They were both in the ball park. So I loaded 12 over RL22. I think I was 71g or close to that. It's all out in the shed. Got online and looked at Barnes load data and the difference scared me, Seriously! Their max load is less than other starting loads this 180g bullet.. Is there something that makes these bullets so different?
Checking different sources certainly pays.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/files/2016/04/300WinMagV14ForWeb.pdf

They are solid copper and create more pressure than a standard cup and core bullet. The loads you found that used more powder most likely were for a 180gr bullet with a lead core.

In my opinion Barnes data is a little conservative. However, you'll likely find the sweet spot is less than published max anyway. Start at 63 gr. and work up slowly watching for pressure signs. You'll probably find your best groups around 68 gr. Barnes bullets like a lot of jump too so start about .060 off the lands and adjust from there.

Ever consider Reloder 17? I'm running the same bullet over 65.0 gr of RL17 and getting 3000 fps. Not even close to max and very accurate.

Good luck,
Bruce

Actually you did good by checking other resources.

I don't think you would have gotten into trouble with 71 grains but you never know because each chamber and barrel combination is different. you were just 2 grains over what one book said but it should have been around 68 grains to start and you should have been ok. but even then I have seen minimum loads smash primers and cause heavy bolt lift because of faulty chambers.

It is a good lesson for all to learn from, (Never start with a Max load even if you think the manual
is conservative. I would have started 3 or 4 grains lower and worked up.

Look at the positive side. you caught your mistake and chances are you will never do it again.

Almost all re loaders make some sort of mistake and if they are lucky, catch it and prevent problems. If not they learn the hard way.

Good catch !!!

J E CUSTOM

Barnes makes great bullets but their support for load data I think is the worst in the industry, especially considering their bullets do not load like lead bullets. As stated they tend to hit pressure sooner than similar weight lead bullets.
Combined with the fact they have relatively low BC's I have been trying some Hammer Bullets, a site sponsor, and they are much easier to load for, not sensitive to seating depth, very similar to charge as lead book data, and are very helpful on the phone.
Barnes has given me data that started 3 grains over what blows primers in my gun. They are getting better but why bother when there are better choices. Cutting Edge Bullets are softer and load similar charges as lead also.
I'm in the lead free sate and have been shooting monos for a while.

In my opinion Barnes data is a little conservative. However, you'll likely find the sweet spot is less than published max anyway. Start at 63 gr. and work up slowly watching for pressure signs. You'll probably find your best groups around 68 gr. Barnes bullets like a lot of jump too so start about .060 off the lands and adjust from there.

Ever consider Reloder 17? I'm running the same bullet over 65.0 gr of RL17 and getting 3000 fps. Not even close to max and very accurate.

Good luck,
Bruce

A second on this. One of my rifle didn't come in until .180" from the lands. After I used HBLN I had to adjust it to .120".

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.