Mark V truing.

Thescandinavian

Is straightning and truing the 9lug really worth it or are they true enough out if the box and do anyone have tools and/or knowledge about how to do it?
Currently bedded and have a lilja barrel, but otherwise a untouched Japanese mark V in a synthetic stock.

morning, contact Dr. Vette on this site.
I have 3 wbee's. the workmanship is superb.
I buy and use the older german actions.
never had a problem.
justme gbot tum

My Gunsmith says older Mark V Wbys and late model Remington 700s have been among the worst for being out of true.

With that being said any action can be out of true and if your having it rebarreled you might as well true/square the action as it will be apart anyway.

Last edited:
morning, my smithy trues the facing of the action, checks the
contact of the bolt lugs. all my rifles r custom or been modified
in some way. I have mrk V german and Rem 721 actions.
1 Winchester action, pretty sa 250sav and 1 ruger.
getting older these rifles can out shoot me. I have
my days weather in TX. permitting.
ONE SHOT ONE KILL. justme gbot tum

I'm afraid there is few gunsmiths here who are familiar with this actions.
I was recommended to build this off a rem 700, but that's been done so many times that I feel is not special enough.
I assume I would need to buy or make some special tools.
It's a pure hunting rifle so is it really worth the effort? I just think most bullets will struggle to provide proper expansion before accuracy become a problem.
I'm just spewing out assumptions so please correct me.

Kirby is very busy doing his custom projects; I would not think he's going to mess with setting up for your Weatherby.

JE Custom on this site is an excellent Weatherby gunsmith, so I'd give him a call.

If your current stock is a factory synthetic ("tupperware") stock, that's the first thing I would switch. If the gunsmith who installed the Lilja barrel did a good job I wouldn't worry about truing the action.

Kirby is very busy doing his custom projects; I would not think he's going to mess with setting up for your Weatherby.

JE Custom on this site is an excellent Weatherby gunsmith, so I'd give him a call.

If your current stock is a factory synthetic ("tupperware") stock, that's the first thing I would switch. If the gunsmith who installed the Lilja barrel did a good job I wouldn't worry about truing the action.
I'm not about to send the rifle across the Atlantic. Having it exported and imported would cause me the mother of all headaches. I only payed the gunsmith to install the barrel so no truing is done to it. I necksize the brass BTW, imagining that better grip with the chamber would eliminate some of the problems an untrued action could provide.
I should probably just get the bolt in an lathe and start turning it to see how much it's off before I even consider anything more.

I wouldn't do that. Odds are you'd screw something up more than improve anything.

You didn't confirm which stock you have.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.