Weatherby mark V

gol1

Dear members of the forum

I would like your opinions on building a long range rifle on the base of the Weatherby mark V I have a rifle in 378 weatherby avvailible my plan is to use the system with mcmillan stock and a premium barrel and to change the caliber to 338 LM I would like to know your openion about the action and what should I expect from such a project

Sincerely yours
AS

they are very good actions to build on , very strong and a very rigid. They are a pain the but to accurize but once itys done they will shoot with the best of them.

They are generaly pretty expensive and theirs not alot of after market accuracy goodies like the Rem 700 and its clones thats why you don't see more of them.

Since your gonna have to buy a new stock and barrel anyway , I would sell the gun and take that money and put it toward a custom action like the Lawton or Predator , you'll have a better end product that will have higher resale if thats ever needed.

thanks for the replay

I have found a cz 550 in 375 H&H and thinking of using it what do you think

thanks

Gol1; If you aren't using the .378, it makes sense to use the action to build something you will use. It might be a slow seller as is. Check the extraction rim diameter on the .338 Lapua. I don't know what it is, but the Wby .378 is .579-.580". That may be too big.

I like Mauser actions, but if I had a Wby available to use, I wouldn't buy anything else. (If the bolt face works).

The MK V's are smooth and very strong actions. Large capacity cases shooting heavy bullets is where they excel.

Have fun, whatever you decide. Tom

Last edited:
what should I do

Specweldtom thanks for the info you sent
It appears that with the cz 550 there is aproblem with the bolt diameter
About the weatherby it costs 1250 EUR so I started wondering if only for an action I should invest such a budget or maybe use the borden action wich Have a representetive in scottland so I cna get one it is amazing thow that it is easier to get european rifles like the cz in usa for about 890usd and here the same rifle costs 1230EUR and the delivery time is min 3 month I just dont understand it here they only want factory hunting rifles almost nothing special or intresting or if custom only showpieces nothing long range or practical nice wood small cartridge and also it is very hard to find shooting places here for more than 300 meter.
PS
I have been trying to find sako 995 action for this project but in europe I didnt find even one while in gunsamerica i found several

Thanks

If you can find a cz 550 action that is already 416 rigsby you can easliy change that to 338 lm

I'm pretty sure that Brownells will export to Europe maybe call them and find out because they have CZ action that are setup for the 416 Rigby (same as the 338 Lapua) for $618 USD !!

Any of the EU actions are plenty good like the Sako , and CZ , but if you already have the Weatherby then build on that sucker.

Hell what are the laws governing shipping an action to Europe from the US if its a person to person sale??

specweld tom i see your a retired welder i have 3 years to go and ill be one to no more BP for me

sorry about the hijack ;}

JIM

Yeah DB, 45 years total so far, 40 working. It's an honest living and a handy skill to have. Hang in; you can do 3 years standing on your head.

Tom

pushing 40 years under the hood all wrestling pipe in the rack I'm tired . my boss talked me into putting in for a foreman job .will see . never been much of a yes man !!! sorry about off topic

JIM

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.