Weatherby mark v conversion

BLC3128

I have a mid 1980s Mark V Deluxe in 7mm WBY Magnum. Can I re-barrel it to a 340 WBY. I understand that the bolt face diameter is the same and I do know I will have to swap the magazine. I would like to put a slightly heavier barrel than the "whippy" barrel it has. So is this a possibility? Can someone please walk me through this process!

Also, I do not need any suggestions to rebarrel to "something else" as if I cannot rebarrel to 340WBY I will simply get a new and heavier contour 7mm WBY barrel with a faster twist!

Thanks in advance!

Brandon

You will need a new magazine, or remove the partition from yours.
You will need a new longer follower.
I would recommend a new magazine spring, though you don't "need" one. You will appreciate it, though.
You will need to have the bolt stop slot on the bolt machined for the longer length of the 340.

Weatherby will sell you all of these parts, but they're moving right now so give them a lot of leeway on time.

Or you can buy the pretty 340 I have and be happy. :D

morning, I own a 340 accu-mark. factory muzzle brake. warne
steel rings and mounts. Nikon Monarch 6.5x20x44. 210gr.
Barnes bullets, fed. 215, 4831sc. weatherby brass.
the weapon is a hammer. very accurate. I use this load for
every kind of meat collecting. I will never sell this
weapon. very comfortable to shoot. justme gbot tum

you may consider giving the Weatherby Custom Shop a call. Great people to work with. They can take you through what needs to be done to get where you want to be.

I had them convert a mkv 300 japan to a 7mmRM a couple of years ago. I sent them the barreled action, documented the condition upon receipt and they went to work; took +- 6 weeks. Removed the #2 contour 300 barrel and installed an accumark #3, included new mag box and follower for around $600 door to door. very happy with the experience.
I bedded a new stock from Stockys that would accept the heavier barrel.
I am running the 7mm loads long now (.010" off the lands) so the original 300 mag box and follower is back on to hold those rounds.

Converting to the 340 is straight forward with only a few changes so yes.

I also have found that a heavier barrel makes a huge difference in accuracy and recoil. Even then the 340 is powerful and recoil management is recommended. I have built many rifles using the Mark 5 action and it is one of my favorite actions.

Often they have been for the ladies that want to Elk hint and with a good muzzle brake can have the recoil of a 308 and is an absolute hammer for Elk sized game. Surprisingly the ladies love the 340 when set up correctly.

J E CUSTOM

Call Rich Reilly at Hi Tech Custom Rifles in Colo Springs 719-667-1090. He worked wonders with my Mark 5 on a rebarrel and Cerokote. I would trust him as far as what it would take to rebarrel yours to a .340. The brake he installed on my .340 makes it a dream to shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.