Mark V glass bedding

martyj

I was wondering on a Weatherby Mark V when glass bedded should the recoil lub be bedded on the bottom so that it is tight when torqued.
I was always told on other actions that if the recoil lug hit the bedding on the bottom they would shoot poorly.

I believe on the WBY that the front action bolt goes into the recoil lug. Been a bit since I bedded a WBY though. Anyway, if the front action bolt goes into the lug, then I'll bed to the bottom of the lug so that the action bottoms out there when the bolt is torqued down. A Rem is different, so is a Winchester. A Ruger has the front action bolt going into the recoil lug at an angle, but that'll get bedded to the bottom of the lug as well.

Hope that answered your question.

Geb

I believe on the WBY that the front action bolt goes into the recoil lug. Been a bit since I bedded a WBY though. Anyway, if the front action bolt goes into the lug, then I'll bed to the bottom of the lug so that the action bottoms out there when the bolt is torqued down. A Rem is different, so is a Winchester. A Ruger has the front action bolt going into the recoil lug at an angle, but that'll get bedded to the bottom of the lug as well.

Hope that answered your question.

Geb

+1

The only time that I don't fully bed the recoil lug on a mark 5 is if it is going to be used for
a rapid fire match rifle (Where it may get very hot).

Even if you use pillars, It is best to have 100% lug bedding to hold the action in place better.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.