Glass bedding

Chrisvierling

When glass bedding a rifle, how exactly do you go about keeping epoxy out of the action screw holes? When you go to screw the action into the stock won't the epoxy just seep into the screw holes?

You make some headless bolts for the action that are wrapped in tape so they index the bolt in the center of the pillars. I usually let the tape run up the threads of the bolts so the tape meets the action. After you apply your bedding material, you screw the bolts into the action, then slide the bolts into the pillars. Read this (Stress-Free Pillar Bedding) for more details.

Dennis

I have used the factory action strews as well as getting some headless ones. If you use factory ones coat everything with release agent. Then as you lower the action into the stock start the screws before it reaches the bedding compounds. Works pretty good. I like the headless screws alot better though. When I did my first bedding job I found some pretty good videos on youtube that helped. Good luck!

CV, +1 on the headless screws, great to help align in action screw holes. Get mine at hardware store and cut off with 1 1/2 inch longer than factory. Cover with release agent (Kiwk Neutral polish) and they are the first thing removed after the epoxy sets up. On most other spots I use modeling clay to keep the epoxy out and cover it with release agent too. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.