Magnetospeed reads slow

^^^ If your ballistic solver is substantially off, then your inputs are off. The math doesn't change, period. Not one time have I ever encountered a ballistics app that was substantially incorrect when correctly used.

For sure. The velocity input being off never helps. Lol.

I shot again this morning. Checked zero at 200 on two rifles. Then shot at 600 and play with clicks until my elevation was right on target. According to the ballistics, one rifle is shooting 150fps faster and the other 170fps faster than what the magnetospeed read.

Never have used it. I use applied Balistics and the berger and Nikon caculators.
The berger and applied are basically spot on with each other. Enter the same data into the Nikon one and it spits out a different number. Same data in both weather temp baro all of it and Nikon is different.

Try running your data through the berger ballistic calculator and see what it shows.

Never have used it. I use applied Balistics and the berger and Nikon caculators.
The berger and applied are basically spot on with each other. Enter the same data into the Nikon one and it spits out a different number. Same data in both weather temp baro all of it and Nikon is different.

Try running your data through the berger ballistic calculator and see what it shows.

Appreciate it, but ballistic calculator is not the issue. I have a pile of guns that run with it.

I'm using shooter and an older magneto speed for several rifles. When I adjust my velocity in the program to match my actual field tested drops. I never have to adjust it more than 15fps from the velocity my MS gave me. The lab radar I have used has been dead on, and the velocitys it gives me match up with the shooter app's drops without calibrating velocity.

Sounds like a simple question, but have you tried a new battery?

Mine was flawless, then started reading low. Fresh battery and is was back to spot on readings that match up perfectly with Shooter app.

Sounds like a simple question, but have you tried a new battery?

Mine was flawless, then started reading low. Fresh battery and is was back to spot on readings that match up perfectly with Shooter app.

Great idea. Did not know that low batt could do that. It was brand new but came with battery in it. Maybe it had been sitting a while. Does anything on start up screen say low battery when it starts to go?

Great idea. Did not know that low batt could do that. It was brand new but came with battery in it. Maybe it had been sitting a while. Does anything on start up screen say low battery when it starts to go?

Not on the start up screen, you have to scroll down to that option in the Menu. I just try to remember to check it from time to time and keep a fresh 9volt in the box.

Worth a shot before you go any further for sure.

Give them a call. They have been very helpful for us. When our display unit had a problem they replaced it quickly. When our bayo had an issue (bullet strike) they got us one quickly. It lasted over a year after the bullet strike without issue.

With the magspeed I change bc to get drops to match up. From rifle to rifle this seems to change but have always had confidence in the outputs from the magapeed. I like not having doubts about vel. I don't want to start now. o_O

Steve

...From rifle to rifle this seems to change but have always had confidence in the outputs from the magapeed.

It sounds like the OP, and others are working through this constructively, so this isn't intended for more than humor.

Years ago as chronographs became more common, I can't remember which manufacturer it was, was interviewed. He was asked what surprised him the most since getting into the business. Answer "I've never had a chronograph returned for reading too fast".;)

Just a thought, but I'd shoot it at 450 or so and see where it's at. If you are high there I'd say velocity is wrong. If it's good at 450, it's BC that's screwed at 600. Seems like speed is more of a factor in drop out to 4 or 5, then BC takes over.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts