Fast and slow barrels

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Briancrn113, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Briancrn113

Briancrn113 Member

Okay I understand some barrels are faster and/or slower than others all other factors being equal. I have recently been wondering if the method of rifling can affect speed/friction of the projectile. When we compare hammer forged rifling to say button rifling it looks much rougher as if there would be more friction and thus produce a slower moving projectile. Button rifling in contrast looks to me anyway much smoother, hence less friction. Is this true or doesn't it make any difference?

2. MagnumManiac

MagnumManiac Well-Known Member

I've always wondered the same thing!

But, I would like to throw in my own spin!

What about the number of grooves/lands?

My Kimber in 300WinMag has 4 grooves/lands, my 300Weatherby has 6 grooves/lands and, the 300WinMag practically equals the 300Weatherby with equal barrel lengths and pressure, both are 26".

My F-Class rifle in 300WinMag has 3 grooves/lands and, it shoots faster than it should than either of the other 2.

3. shortgrass

shortgrass Well-Known Member

Throw this in the mix, too. Almost all custom tubes are 'hand lapped'. A method used to remove burrs and roughness. Because of the cost, I don't think many production rifle barrels are hand lapped (if they are, they aren't doing a very good job!, on the ones I see anyway).

4. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

Reportedly the 5C barrels with canted rifling shoot faster than non-canted rifled barrels.

I believe that polygonal barrels are also supposed to shoot faster because they seal better, keeping all the expanding gasses behind the bullet.

5. elkaholic

elkaholic Well-Known Member

+1 on the 5c and 5r barrels. Also loose bores (or undersized bullets) make a little difference but accuracy is also slightly less.