Magnetospeed reads slow

Petersen

it seems to be so. I hate chronos. Haven't used them for years because of this. After reading reviews I purchased a magnetospeed sporter, I believe from Len on this site but not positive. I have ran three guns over it. All are running faster than what the magnetospeed read.

300wm with 75.5 imr7977 with 212s read 2750. Shot at 610 yards today and it was over 12 inches high. Speed is more like 3000+.

2506ackley with 61 RL25 read 3200. Also shot at 610 yards and it was 5+ inches high. Speed is more like 3350.

3rd gun is 338RUM. Loaded it full of RL33 and magnetospeed said 2830. That gun has killed three animals this fall 400-500 yards and all hit high on body.

So, the question, is this common for you guys that use Magnetospeed? Should I call them this week or just put this thing on ebay?

I have had no problems with mine and have not heard of any problems. I would call the company and see what they say. There is an adjustment to tweak the reading of various bullets but that doesn't seem to be your problem.

I have had no problems with mine and have not heard of any problems. I would call the company and see what they say. There is an adjustment to tweak the reading of various bullets but that doesn't seem to be your problem.

Appreciate it. I'll give them a ring Monday.

Try to find another chrony to compare it to. I hate chronys. They cause me more grief than anything. The target tells me all I need to know.

When my Magneto Sporter started giving speeds I felt were to low and sometimes not reading I called the company. They suggested I switch to either H-1 or H-2. Took a while to figure it out but, I switched to H-1 and all my problems were solved on bullets over 3000fps.

I highly doubt the magnetospeed is wrong, check it with another chrono first.

Most likely you've got something entered into your ballistics program that's giving you incorrect drops, recheck your inputs. You should always shoot at known distances and go with the actual drops, but the fact that your drops don't line up based upon the chrono'd velocity doesn't mean the chrono is wrong, just that there's something wrong somewhere.

When my Magneto Sporter started giving speeds I felt were to low and sometimes not reading I called the company. They suggested I switch to either H-1 or H-2. Took a while to figure it out but, I switched to H-1 and all my problems were solved on bullets over 3000fps.

I'll check this out. Thanks

What ballistic solver are you using to calculate your drops? What BC data are you using? What were the conditions(atmospheric) you were shooting in? Were those conditions accounted for on your solver or tables?

I highly doubt the magnetospeed is wrong, check it with another chrono first.

Most likely you've got something entered into your ballistics program that's giving you incorrect drops, recheck your inputs. You should always shoot at known distances and go with the actual drops, but the fact that your drops don't line up based upon the chrono'd velocity doesn't mean the chrono is wrong, just that there's something wrong somewhere.

Thanks. I did Check them and recheck. Have a kestrel, a suunto core. Run the shooter program. Never had any issue with any of them.

Given that all three guns are having the same challenge, I'm going with chrono issues.

Also, the 300win never made sense doing 2750 with 75.5gr of 7977. I think I read somewhere that 69 gr. Charge is around 2650. I understand all rifles are different but not that slow.

What ballistic solver are you using to calculate your drops? What BC data are you using? What were the conditions(atmospheric) you were shooting in? Were those conditions accounted for on your solver or tables?

Yep all accounted for. I would be thinking all these same things if the the vertical was less than MOA. But given it being over 1 MOA in one rifle and over 2 MOA in another at only 600 yards, that also leads to me thinking the velocity isn't close.

^^^ If your ballistic solver is substantially off, then your inputs are off. The math doesn't change, period. Not one time have I ever encountered a ballistics app that was substantially incorrect when correctly used.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.